• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Photo Upload Update - IMPORTANT

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
OK folks. I did some looking around and noodled on the situation with Vicky last weekend.

Bottom line is that because of the amount of space used by photos on the server, it's impractical at this point in time to open up any more precious storage space for uploading photos. There is also performance at the server level as an ancillary issue.

Warm up your links foks, I'll be turning off the upload option for photos and deleting some of the photos that are in old threads that haven't been visited recently.

So we're back to linking photos, sorry 'bout that!

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Yup, we're eating up the space! Wish I could provide unlimited, but since I can't put up my own host, more space costs more money, and that I don't have, unfortunately.

Sorry guys, guess we'll have to save the space for posts instead of pix....

Vicky

Greenblood

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2004
Been meaning to put a website up for some time. This is just 1 more reason to do so. No worries ;D

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Attn Vicky: Photo Update + Fundraising Challenge

Vicky and Got Mead Members,

I don't know who your host is or what they charge and I offer this for comparison only... check out " IX Web Hosting " after seeing that we're eating up disk space and probably bandwidth with photos I decided to look into website hosts... possibly so GotMead members who don't have a web presence could upload & link photos to a separate dedicated server. "IX Web Hosting" was Rated the #1 web host of 2003 & 2004 by the hosting chart.

Unlimited Disk Space... Up to 8 Domains... 500GB data transfer.. all for only $19.99 a month, 24/7 (365) phone & live chat help center. Not that You'd want the headache of transferring hosts, but they also pay affiliates that host on their servers $90 per new customer referral, Your being a web designer as well... who knows it might be worth it. Just a thought... they support PHP and MySQL in their basic plans, which I see help power GotMead.

http://www.thehostingchart.com/ourreview1.html - to read review

http://www.ixwebhosting.com/ - for their site

Hell if all of us TOP POSTERS dropped $20 you'd have a year + of unlimited space... By the way I haven't forgotten about $50 I pledged... Figured I'd donate it when I see you at Pennsic. I'll even set up a challenge for people to donate before the end of the year (2005), for every poster that donates at least $10 I'll donate an extra $1, donate at least $50 and I'll donate an extra $5. Just tell Vicky you're donating against my challenge, I'll cut her a check at the end of the year to settle the challenge, $1 for every member that Donated at least $10, $5 for every member that donated at least $50, must be verified by Vicky

Challenge Offered because I enjoy seeing the progress, problems and achievements in other Members Photos... plus it really helps us diagnose problems. edacsac's recent "Contaminated..." post is a prime example... he was ready to flush it, but after seeing the pics we convinced him that it looked normal and to keep it. Just one recent batch saved.

Wrathwilde

(Vicky... could you bring me a pewter "Got Mead?" pin for Pennsic? I'll pay you there if it's alright.)

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Hey folks,
I understand the need for some financial support, so how do we handle it?
If we were to send checks or money orders to Vicky, what address would we use? I don't think Vicky should give us her home address, and I will not make it to the Pensic. I wouls suggest for Vicky to get a PO Box, but that will be another headache for her to deal with.
Let me know how it gets set-up, I will certainly help.

Ted - waiting for a suggestion, cash in hand!!

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Re: Attn Vicky: Photo Update + Fundraising Challenge

Wrathwilde said:
I don't know who your host is or what they charge and I offer this for comparison only... check out " IX Web Hosting " after seeing that we're eating up disk space and probably bandwidth with photos I decided to look into website hosts... possibly so GotMead members who don't have a web presence could upload & link photos to a separate dedicated server. "IX Web Hosting" was Rated the #1 web host of 2003 & 2004 by the hosting chart.

There are free online servers dedicated to hosting photos. I use www.photobucket.com.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns