• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What I thought was astringency...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
in the Breakfast tea mead, is in fact Eucalyptus in the Avocado honey. Saturday one of my friends after tasting the BTM thought it tasted mediciny, like Hals or something. Got out what was left of the avocado honey and sure enough it has a eucalyptus aroma and flavor (while faint) and is much stronger in the honey then in the mead.

Anthony

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
I buy eucalyptus honey in small jars for wintertime teas. Guess it would be good in a medicinal metheglin... Too bad about the avocado honey. Bummer. But is the mead still tasty?

Miriam

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
It's very rough, only time will tell where the aroma and flavor end up. Besides the Eucalyptus flavor/aroma this batch hit 25% ABV before the yeast died out.

I'm thinking about racking it over a puree of figs, dates and clover honey and letting it sit for 6 to 9 months, I'll let it age in the carboy a couple months before desiding what to do with it.

Anthony

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You might try some mint tea, and heavy toast American Oak cubes also. The mint should bend that bitter medicine bite a bit, and the oak caramel, vanilla, mocha, butterscotch and smokey flavors should help to integrate it a little more evenly.

Maybe a dash or two of malic acid?

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Mint Tea?

Do you mean steep mint in hot water then add the water to the mead?

Anthony

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Anthony,

Exactly right. Before you rack on top of it I'd suggest making some mint tea and mixing it with a thieved sample of the must to see if it's going to give you what you want flavorwise. I'm pretty sure the mint should help mellow that Eucalyptus. If not then at least you haven't muffed the whole batch with the mint tea.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns