• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

fermentation room temperature

Barrel Char Wood Products

quirky

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2005
I live in an old cranky house without a basement or garage. I am having trouble finding a place where I can ferment that is fairly even in temperature. Summer is too hot, winter too cold.
I am only planning on small 1 gallon batches of mead. Is there a way I can reliably regulate temperature for a small batch? I am thinking of some box or blanket or - suggest something!
While we are at it - just how important is 68-70ish degrees for primary fermentation?
I understand some of this has to do with the yeast strain.
Also - if the temperature of the fermetation area fluxuates by at least 10 degrees - how bad is that for the yeast?
I just got my copy of The Compleat Mead Maker yesterday - I will read through more throughly. But I get the impression that one would do well to treat the yeast like royalty. :)
Your help appreciated!
Suzette

HomeBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
As Joe mentioned, find out the optimum temperature range for the yeast you are using. Generally speaking, 10 degree fluctuations in temperature are not good for the yeast.

One way you can better control your temperature is to place your bottle in a tub (or large bucket) of tap water...You won't need a very big container for a 1 gallon bottle. Be sure that the tub will allow enough water depth to cover at least 1/2 the height of your bottle, but not deep enough to come into contact with the top. You probably want a minimum of a 6 inches of water around your bottle and more is better. Place the bottle in the tub and fill it with tap water adjusting the temperature to your optimum range. Adjust the temperature to the higher end of the range if you anticipate a temperature drop and vice versa if you expect the temperature to climb. Check the water temperature daily and adjust with hot/ cold water as needed to stay within the range. The surrounding water will take a while to heat/ cool and will buffer your must from wild temperature fluctuations.

Peace.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Hello!

I have much the same problem -- fluctuating basement temperatures in my case. It's best to ferment mead at cool temperatures, but you've got to work with the ambience. For me, best time to make mead is late fall and winter, when the temperature downstairs drops nice and low. I've made a few meads this summer, but only because it's been hot and the air conditioner has been running.

quirky

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 6, 2005
Seasonal brewing does seem like the best answer.
Summer is HOT - we dont have air. This year we measured 110 in the upstairs bedrooms and 95 in the downstairs in the summer.
I just live in Colorado but we hit some good highs this year.
Winter isnt so bad - most of the time around 65 indoors.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns