• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

source for custom labels

Barrel Char Wood Products

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
I have a friend who is a professional graphic designer. She is designing my labels and I think they're beautiful. VERY high quality. Plus printing. She's putting together pricing and I wanted to see if anyone here is interested.

As soon as she gives the ok, I'll be linking a picture of a sample. We were throwing around some ideas and she got a bit of the wording wrong, but it was the first pass and it's nearly perfect.

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Generally I think they frown on people pimping their (or their friends) wares here but I think in this instance we could make an exception. There has been quite a few label inquiries on the board.

My suggestion to you would be to have her post in the classified adds section of the site. You can certainly put up and example, a simple price list, and a link to the classified ad here if you like. I think in general we try to keep the 'ads' to a bare minimum on the board since there are other places on the site that are more appropriate.

Oh, and considering I have about zero artistic ability I look forward to the example.

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
ah. Will do. And point taken, although I've never used the word "pimping" in a sentence myself. :)

I've been disappointed in the labels I've seen online and don't have the skill to implement what I "see". If I tried to do it myself, I'd spend more time on the label than it takes to make the mead! Plus I won't use an inkjet for my labels. My uncle does it and don't like how they look, plus the issue of getting wet.

I'll gather the info and when we have it, I'll post in the classifieds section. Thanks for the guidance. (and BTW, she's also a newly converted mead maiden!)

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
Looks like Oskaar and I have 2 things in common now. Mead and redheads!

This is what she "slapped together" in like 10 minutes with an image I sent her. Note that this cannot be used as a label due to copyrights on the image that I stole from the Smithsonian website. It needs some refinement to be perfect for me (like my name and alc %), but it's a quickie sample. Let me know if you want me to remove the image from this thread and wait until I post the classified thread.

MemsLabel.jpg

She's just searching for some good honey now, but I got her to try commercial mead and she fell in love. She used to brew beer, like I used to, but we've both been losing weight and beer is kind of out.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Looks nice! Is she going to do the artwork going forward, or is it more of a scrape and stick like we see here?

Cheers,

Oskaar

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
I'm not sure what you mean by "scrape and stick". If you mean take the artwork from the net, etc, she will either do her own or use images from her library. If you give her one and ask her to use it, it would have to be legal in that she won't violate any copyrights. I think that's what you mean. She will also do the printing if that's what you want. I also believe that she will be able to send you a high-res version of it if you want to print it yourself.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Scrape and stick is just a term that we use for taking an image and framing it, adding fonts and incorporating it into a nice looking format suitable for framing, lables, etc.

I do this kind of stuff myself too, neat and fun to do!

Check out the fun with labels section in the forums, there are a lot of folks here to do some really nice labels on their own.

Cheers,

Oskaar

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
I see. There were some great labels that I saw. There are some talented people on the board. For me, even if I could design one in enough time, I don't have the means to print it. I spent time searching for labels online, but they were all bland or ugly.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I totally understand. The biggest hassle is the printing, using a fixative to keep things from running, and then actually putting them on the bottles.

I used to have a small rotary glue applicator, but that went away when I moved back to Calfornia from Texas. I think someone thought it was a toothpick dispenser. Swine that they are! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
memento said:
She used to brew beer, like I used to, but we've both been losing weight and beer is kind of out.

Bah, I proved without a doubt that a great amount of weight can be lost drinking nothing but beer and eating nothing but green beans! You don't have to cut the beer to lose weight. I would suggest cutting something less tasty like say....salmon.

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
It was part of a strategy that stemmed from my wife's diabetes that worked for both of us, all 3 of us actually. I lost almost 60 lbs and have kept it off.

Think of it this way - I cut beer and brewing, but now have reintroduced mead. Not a bad switch, eh? :D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns