• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How many people...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
on this forum play musical instruments?

What do you play, and whats your preferred style?

Anthony

HomeBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
I have been struggling with the 5-string bluegrass banjo for about a year now. My dog no longer leaves the room when I get the case out, so I must be getting it down...Either that or she has gone deaf :-[

I built a washtub bass to go along with the banjo. It's fun to pluck around on but I really like to get other people on it to accompany my banjo playing...I could use all the help I can get since I don't have much rhythm by myself.

I also have about 15 different hand-drums that I love to beat around on. I don't get to as many music festivals/ drum circles as I used to, but they are still a blast.

Peace.

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Learning to play the penny whistle, and I want to get a bohdran. Cant sing, but I fake it ;)

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
I played acoustic guitar till carpal tunnel syndrome got me. Bluegrass, folklore, Bossa Nova and samba. Still keep my voice exercised, though. I'd go nuts if I couldn't sing.

Miriam

Meriadoc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
i've played acoustic guitar for longer than I care to admit...

earlier this year, i took an into to banjo course, that was a nice survey course, covering both frailing and bluegrass fingerpicking. i think i liked the frailing better, and if i ever get around to buying a banjo, i think i'll take the frailing course...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Various keyboards, and sythesizers, accordion and very small amount of guitar. I mostly played rock and fusion in bands, and at home attempted classical. I'm eyeing my keyboards and thinking of trading some of them in for a good newer keyboard that I can plug in to my computer and wig-out on.

I do some electronic music to keep myself entertained using some composition software and sampling software.

Cheers,

Oskaar

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
An age ago I used to play trumpet, baritone, and french horn. That was in High School marching and symphonic bands.

Now I play a bit of wooden flute and okarina (clay clam shell shaped flute)

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Very cool. I was sure there where a number of us who play music.

I play bamjo (5-string), fiddle/violin, guitar and have played string bass. Mostly bluegrass, cajon and country any more, thoughg I have played rock, blues and classical.

I think it'd be a hoot to have a mead sharing, music playin' over night camp out.

Anthony

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hey David, I played violin through junior high and high school, then didn't touch one for 25 years. I had a fiddle made this year and started playing again, it's like I never put it down. Well not quite, i can't sight read like I use to and it's taken some practise to get back into form, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Anthony

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I was given my great grandfathers "fiddle" a couple years ago. I was going to get it repaired and learn to play the old Norwegian folk songs. Unfortunately my violin teacher moved to Alaska - a bit too far to commute for lessons from West Michigan :(

P

Pawn

12 string Acoustic, Love the blues, some of the older bluegrass is cool, pickin!

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Yo Homebrew,

Stay with it, 5-string banjo is by far the hardest instrument I have learned how to play, if you're learning three finger (Scrugs) style to flail or what ever it take time. I've been playing banjo for nearly 10 years now, today what I don't practice I loose. Much harder the playing fiddle.

Anthony

Val

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Been a drummer for years. In school I was a killer timpanist.

These days I'm doing more bohdran and dumbek.

I also play the didgeridoo for meditational purposes.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Dmntd said:
Very cool. I was sure there where a number of us who play music.

I'm not surprised either. I've always thought that a lot of meadmakers are people with a wide range of interests. Some people make mead and are happy with that, but a fair number, I think, are people who get interested in all kinds of things, not just mead.

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
I like the rather unorthodox selection here! I expected 10 people to say they play blues rock guitar. :)

I played trumpet in grade school, but that only counts twards being able to play didgeridoo now. I play anything I can get my hands on, but my main instruments are drums, 5 string bass, and computer sequencing. prog-metal and spinoff styles for me. Think Primus, Rush, Dream Theater, Mastermind, Nightwish. I moved 3 years ago and lost my band. Been looking since then for a collaboration with a female who sings and plays. mellow electronic prog-metal type stuff like Vauxdvihl, Chroma Key and The Gathering. I love female vocals much more than male - especially for heavy stuff.

HomeBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2005
Dmntd,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. As frustrating as its been, I am still as enthusiastic about learning today as I was when I started, so that is good. Unfortunately, I have no musical background and there are no teachers in my area so the process has been slow. I did pick up a new banjo a few months back and that has helped a lot...I at least know when I am doing things right. A good instrument does make a difference.

Peace.

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
In years past I have played sax, clarinet, tuba, and a very little trombone.

Been toying with electronic music when I get the time.

Would love to pick up a didgeridoo!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns