• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Going through my recipe book...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
I noticed a leaning towards meads that are sweet and exotic with a high alcohol content, Peanut Butter, Thai Iced, Pumpkin Pie and Bannana Cream to name a few. These are all planned for at least 16% abv when finished, and bottled in Tenth (375ml) gallon bottles.

Not that I don't make plain ol' straight foreward table mead, stuff for every day. Mainly my interest is in Dessert Mead and tring to create something the taste of which will pull people from the coma, daily life puts us in.

Anyone else tend to make or plan, one style or type of mead more so then other's.

Anthony

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I've been all over the map in the time that I've been making mead. At this point I'm working on traditional mead recipes, and incorporating winemaking techniques, processes and procedures. I've made everything from beef jerkey mead to walnut mead, and some meads that were just . . . wrong. But to me the most challenging mead is a basic mead. There are other exotic meads that are very good, and taste different than anything else and that's great, a little break from the basic is always a welcome thing.

In my estimation, the most challenging is a basic mead because there is nothing in it that will mask or cover any shortcomings in the mead itself. No fruit flavors, or heat from chilis, or grape juice or anything else that will cover the faults or off flavors in the mead. I love making melomels, meths and others, but the most challenging is basic because it is so hard to make it perfect every time.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Greenblood

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2004
Oskaar said:
I've made everything from beef jerkey mead to walnut mead, and some meads that were just . . . wrong.

So your saying that the beef jerkey mead did not fall into the just... wrong category? What did? Have you been mixing paint chips and honey Oskaar? You know that is not good for you. :D

Greenblood

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Okay, my close freinds call ME Demented, but Beef Jerkey Mead! :p

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
LOL

It sounded good at the time, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but I did end up using it as a supplement for meat marinades, and it was awesome for that! LOL

Hey, it's the kind of mead you come up with when you have to take vacation time or lose it, and you're up at 2:00 AM thinking "Hmmm, this beef jerkey tastest awesome, I wonder how this would be in a mead?"

Some of the other just "wrong" meads were things like Chocolate-garlic, Maple-tabasco, carmelized onion, black truffle-sour cherry, etc. Those of course were in the eighties when things like that sounded good, after one . . . maybe two glasses of Jack with a Coca-Cola backer!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Having only made 2 batches (one mel and one meth) I cant say for sure yet. The ones that appeal to me are the mel's, but my boy isnt a fan of fruit wines or anything, so I'll likely be making some meths and show meads as well...

Altho it also looks like I'll be making the mead (in return for supplies) for the parents of a friend, and they like fruit, so I can get my mel fix that way I think :D

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
When I first started, I was most interested in varietal show meads. But alas, curiousity has gotten the better of me and I have gone to town with experimenting, and rightly so. I've got several meths, many mels and dessert meads in addition to show meads. I will probably continue my experimentation until I figure out what I like best. However, my Sweet Onion mead is on hold for now. :(

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
Oskaar said:
Some of the other just "wrong" meads were things like Chocolate-garlic, Maple-tabasco, carmelized onion, black truffle-sour cherry, etc.

Damn. Should have known Oskaar would have beat me to the Onion mead! Oh well, I noticed he didn't mention his Baconcheeseburgomel!! ;D

"Pour me another...and super size it!!"

Steve523

NewBee
Registered Member
May 13, 2005
www.raidersfromthenorth.com
My group of friends that brew tend brew the typical traditional mead or a melomel with typical fruits (pomegranate, cherry, or plum). I think that some of my plans will be more accepted with you, as I think they think I am crazy, but I'm not so crazy (yet) as to try beef jerky mead. :)

I am currently testing a batch of orange/carrot and would like to try a sweet corn batch. Has anyone had success with corn mead before? I found this thread here http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1126.0.html, but no results listed.

How about a Bloody Mary mead for brunch?

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I used to make a lot of straight sparkling meads. I always felt that mead worked really well as a sparkling beverage and thought that it was an under represented catagory.

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
Dmntd said:
Okay, my close freinds call ME Demented, but Beef Jerkey Mead! :p

It is nice to know that I am not the only one who has tried his hand at making jerky mead. ::)

I used a teriyaki beef jerky which ended up giving my mead a very salty taste.

Brian K

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns