• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Another meade Noob

Barrel Char Wood Products

Rusty_Bucket

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
Hey guys and gals,
great forum! I'm real new to meading. I found an article over at the mother earth news and decided to try it. Heres what I have...
I have a 1 gallon fermenter left overfrom a wine making kit.
I put 2 cups of honey in with a gallon of very warm (not hot enough to burn) water and shook it and swirled untill mixed.
I threw in an evelope of baker's yeast (dissolved in some warm water first) and slapped the airlock on.
It's been since saturday morning and it is bubbling up a storm, "Burps" about every 10 seconds or so.

QUestions...
1> will I die or go blind if I drink it ?? =)
2> how long should I let it sit before I bottle it?
3> will I die if I drink it ?? =)

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I also want to say that I am trying to go about this whole thing in the most natural primative way I can...NO CHEMICALS!!

Thanks!!

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Welcome to the forums :D
1.no, you wil not die or go blind,
2. when it stops fermenting, rack to secondary and wait, and wait, and wait....semple once a month
3. most probably you will not, but it will be pretty awful :-\
Ususally we tend to use 2 to 3 lbs honey/gal water. The concoction you are brewing has an SG of 1.028 and PABV of 3.4 or so. Given the yeast you are using, it will be bone dry, and then some.
You will probably want to search the forums for Ancient orange, the recipe was posted by Joe Matiolli, a real wizard of meads. The recipe is simple, easy and all natural, ready to drink in about 2 months, it gets better with time, most meads do.
As for your first born, I would add more honey to it, a lot more, and a handful of raisins (no sulfides) or dry cherries, or dates...they will act as a nutrient.

Hope this helps,
Ted

Rusty_Bucket

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
Thanks for the pointers.
I took your advice and threw 5oz of dried cherries and a few oz of raisins in.
I'm gonna hold off and save the honey for my next batch.
I did taste my brew, after only 2 days of fermenting it was delicious =) I could pour up a glass and enjoy just as it is. looking forward to more experiments.

Thanx

andrew_buhl

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2005
Bakers Yeast?!!! I'd like to email mother earth new do you remember what issue it was in?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns