• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What a bizzare taste

Barrel Char Wood Products

Overfiend

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 20, 2005
I recently made some short meads (as is my speciality). Unfortunately, having been distracted I accidentally pictched two lots of yeast. This was the first batch I added nutrient to, and I let it ferment for about two weeks, about 8 days too long.

After I bottle, its usually ready for at least a sup to see how it is. It tasted foul! The best way I can describe it is musty meat/vegetable taste. I left it for a month, then two, to see if it got any better. It didn't. I tried decanting it, get some oxygen to it, to see it that made it any better. It didn't

It wasn't an infection, I'm sure I'd notice that. Don't think it could have been autolysis (sp?) could it? That would have got a lot worse in a hurry.

The only thing I could think of is that the nutrient I put in was still in suspension. But it cleared wonderfully. Its just a shame I ended up with sparkling musty vegetable water.

Any help would be appreciated

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Overfiend,

We really need a recipe and brew details to be able to help. Yeast used, SG, type of honey, type of nutrient, temperature range etc. For most of the meads here on the forum even two weeks is blindingly fast for a fermentation. The difference between the taste of a young mead and one that has been aged at least 6 months is astounding. What are your sanitation procedures?

Wrathwilde

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns