• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

where the honey??

Barrel Char Wood Products

palecricket1

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2005
Bottled a batch of blueberry melomel today. Really beutiful stuff, but when i took a taste it was like drinking Reisling with a little blueberry juice. So what happened to the honey? I used blueberry honey, which is medium dark and pretty strongly flavored. Could the yeast have killed the flavor? And more imporantly: is there anything I can do to fix this?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You can backsweeten with honey and stabilze with K-metabisulfite and K-sorbate to bring some honey flavor back into your mix.

Oskaar

palecricket1

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2005
this is true, though I was kind of looking forward to a dry mead. Oh well, I guess I'll survive with a semi-dry... somehow ::)

Greenblood

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2004
How long has this mel aged? I have found that some of my melomels loose their honey character for a time, and regain it with age.

Greenblood

palecricket1

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2005
It actually hasn't been aged very long at all. I left it on the lees for a week or two to let it clear out and to make sure the mead was good and stable. Then I bottled. So it's been aging for around three weeks now since fermentation was over. So should I just let it be for now? Is there any harm in backsweetening, say, 6 months from now?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns