• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

It's a beautiful thing!

Barrel Char Wood Products

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
I have to run for the weekend, but on my way out i looked in at the mead wall...

Nothing like seeing a mead that has dropped amazingly clear since the last time you looked at it, Can't wait to rack it next week. This is a Blended OB and Buckwheat mead made on Jan 2nd. The Maple mead from the first has dropped a lot of sediment, but it's so much darker i have no idea how clear it will become...

More to come on this next week.

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
ThristyV
Did you add anything to make it clear? Or did it "just happen" I have been "willing" my first show mead to clear for a month now and it doesn't seem to be helping. Both my Cycer and Pear mead (both started after the first show mead) are very very clear! Should I add something? The pear mead had pectic enzymes added, but the cyser, made with unfiltered apple juice, did not! I probably just need more patience! Can you buy more patience at the local brew shop?

Thanks!
Gntlknght

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Hmmm, IIRC I added some bentonite to that batch when i transfered to secondary about three 4-5 weeks ago, with the plan to add some isinglass at the next racking, based on current appearance, isenglass will not be needed.

Probably I added pectic enzyme as well... even if not obviously needed I tend to add this as a standard practice. I am registering some software as soon as i get my income tax refund and should be able to review my notes more thoroughly at that time.

I may get the polarity reversed, but basicly my understanding is bentonite {clay} is negatively charged ionicly and binds with positive particles in a must and causes them to precipitate, and isenglass {Fish parts.. bladder?} is exactly the opposite, so between the two they tend pull all charged particles out of suspension. For OBVIOUS REASONS you don't use them at the same time.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns