• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Maximum O.G

Barrel Char Wood Products

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Ok, i just pitched a must with a seemingly insane O.G. What is the highest level anyone has started from?

My yeast will either be very happy, or eat themselves to death in short order.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Oddly enough K1V-1116 started a 1.17 must
of Grapefruit juice and Water with
3 pounds Buckwheat honey
1 gallon Orange Blossom Honey

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
The addition of fruit will throw the OG reading way off...usually rendering it near useless. i suspect that your OG is artificially inflated way beyond what you think.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
I believe you are wrong there.Strained Fruit Juice I added didn't change the fact that i added nearly 5 pounds of honey per gallon of must.

15 pounds honey, 3.25 gallons of must.

My OG wasn't too far out of line IMO

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
hahaha lol i suppose i stand corrected! i didnt realize your final volume was so small, i just assumed (out of convention)that your batch was somewhere in the range of 5-6 gallons, in which case 15 lbs of honey really wouldnt be that much, nor would it produce such a high gravity. my past experience with adding things like whole crushed blueberries and strawberries is that you might as well not even take your hydrometer out of the drawer. being that i was thinking at least 5 gallons, i figured that you were definately having the same problem. but certainly this would not be the case with carefully strained juice.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns