• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Traditional Mead Glass/Mug

Barrel Char Wood Products
T

Terry Cox

What is considered the traditional and/or proper way of serving mead? I have always had mine in a generic pint mug, but was wondering if there was a specific vessel for the partaking of mead.

thanks

V

Vicky Rowe

I use wine glasses, so I can swirl the mead more effectively. And it gives me an excuse to use the crystal I got for my wedding too!

Chauvan

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2003
Last time I had mead I had it at a ren faire and I used my drinking horn. I don't know about traditional, but it sure held a lot. ;D

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Terry Cox said:
What is considered the traditional and/or proper way of serving mead? I have always had mine in a generic pint mug, but was wondering if there was a specific vessel for the partaking of mead.

The closest thing to a traditional vessel for serving mead was
the mazer, but these were actually wooden drinking bowls,
used for other beverages besides mead.

A good wine glass would be best for serving mead. Mead is
appreciated and enjoyed for qualities also found in wine, i.e.,
color, clarity, taste, aroma and bouquet. Wine glasses are
especially designed to allow full enjoyment of these qualities.
They capture and enhance aroma and bouquet, you can
hold the glass up to the light and enjoy the amber clarity of
a good mead, taste, swirl, and taste again. A wide mouthed
bowl like a mazer, or even a drinking horn can give a nice
sense of history in drinking mead, but some of the sensory
qualities of a good mead can be muted.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns