• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

my first braggot

Barrel Char Wood Products

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
i made my first braggot it has spent 2 weeks in primary and today is the 2nd week in the secondary. and it is still fairly active. now the problem is i don't want to rush this to the bottle but i don't want it in the secondary to long because i want to be sure the yeast will beable to carbonate after it is bottled. my sg was 1098 and at racking it was 1022 and i used icv-d47. which in the past i couldn't ever get it to ferment to a fg of less then about 1030. i am open to any suggestions. anyone out there try there hand at braggot before??? i loosely followed ken scramms recipie for the braggot. thanks!

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I love braggot. Since i dont know exactly what you put in yours its hard to predict what it will do. I've made the following recipe about 5 times with great success

5 lbs Clover honey
5 lbs Light DME
8 oz 40L Crystal Malt
1/4 oz Cascade Hops
Your favorite Ale Yeast
5.5 oz dextrose to prime at bottling

I usually primary for 4-6 weeks and have had it in secondary as long as 4 months with no problems carbonating. Generally anything less than 5-6 months and you shouldnt have a problem carbonating UNLESS you start pushing the alcohol tolerance levels of the particular strain of yeast.

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
thanks for the advice here is my recipie
4# light dme
9#honey
1# 10l crystal malt
2oz cascade (bittering)
1oz saaz (flavoring)
irish moss 1tsp
yeast nutrient 1tbs
energizer 1tsp
icv-d47

i plan on priming with 3/4 cup corn sugar, this is supposed to be a barley wine style, i have never made a barley wine so this is really a shot in the dark for me

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns