• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Chocolate mead

Barrel Char Wood Products
M

Mark G

I want to try a chocolate mead and plan to use 15lb honey, 4gal spring water, 16oz cocoa and sweet mead yeast.
I have orange blossom honey but not sure how strong this honey is. Will it overpower the cocoa? I can always return it and exchange for wildflower honey.

Any tips for a chocolate mead?

Thanks,
Mark

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
http://www.ladybridget.com/m/chocmead.html

I'm 10 months into my first chocolate mead, OB honey shouldn't over power, most say it is rather subtle. YMMV. the above link says don't taste for a full year... at 7.5 months it was funky... sorta beefy... time will tell.

good luck. I'll let you know in 3 months or so how mJHine did.

Bryon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 12, 2004
Phoenix, Az
I found this resipe fo rthe Chocolate part of the men but it dosnt' cover the basic mead resipe that goes with it. I was goig to ask you guys what I should use for the mead part of this resipe. anyway. heres what I found.

Chocolate Mead aka Liquid Sex Mead

Recipe by Capten Rhys ab Idwal ab Idris ap William ap Llewellyn ab Idris ap Daffyd gen y Arian Lloer Rimsholt, Barony of Andelcrag, Midrealm.

This recipe may be quoted, borrowed, copied, or stolen by anyone under two conditions. 1. As the originator of this recipe please offer me credit as such. 2. No money may change hands for this recipe. Give it freely to any who ask in the spirit in which I give it to you.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
The originator of the recipe is not responsible for hordes of chocolate-crazed women attacking your encampment in search of chocolate mead. All local women must now see my lady, Angeline la Petita, for a sample if you can talk her out of it. I am not allowed to carry around an open bottle anymore.

The basics of mead brewing should be mastered before performing any advanced projects. This recipe assumes a standard 5 gallon batch of mead using a 4 parts water to 1 part honey mixture (Must).

If you prefer your mead boiled, do so before adding any cocoa from this recipe as the foaming will remove the chocolate from the mix. Boiling is optional in mead and if you would like the pro's and con's, please ask. I personally boil nothing in mead making.

To your standard must, before adding the yeast add 16 oz of Cocoa Powder (Nestles works great). Mix well before adding yeast. You will notice a lag in the start of the yeast, however this is common and due to the oils in cocoa. It will start bubbling madly in a few days, but never as much as a normal mead.

THIS STEP IS VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT!
Cocoa contains a number of different very bitter oils that must be given time to break down. After the bubbling slows down, strain the must once, and put your fermenter/carboy away for one full year. Keeping the airlock on and checking the water level in it on occasion. Any other method of removing the oils will result in the loss of that little enzyme that the ladies are so fond of.

At the end of that year, sweeten to approx. 1.030 on a hydrometer (semi-sweet) or to taste. Clarify and bottle normally.

Some production notes: This mead leaves a very light aftertaste of chocolate that most people will not be able to identify readily. However the other effects of chocolate, i.e. orgasmic like pleasure is there. In the original test 1 of the samplers didn't care for it, 1 identified the flavor and tried to steal the bottle, and the other 28 thought it good with comments ranging from "very good" to "OH MY GOD!". I make 5 gallons each year to share with friends, and that is all due to space from brewing. I used an apple flower honey, but any light honey should work. Just avoid heavy flavored honeys that might overpower the chocolate. In addition brew down only once, a heroic mead would likewise overpower the delicate flavor.

Additional Note: The current batch now aged over two years has increased in chocolate flavor and smoothed very very very well. I no longer serve chocolate mead at less then two years of age. The Ladies of the Barony deserve nothing less then the best.

This mead is best served to the one you love ice cold, in candlelight, with a bowl of fresh strawberries for dipping. And privacy would be recommended.

Comments back to me are most welcome and maybe sent to Rhys@eringobragh.com

-Rhys
Arafu at dawnsio mewn y adlaw.
"Take time to dance in the rain."

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns