• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sparkalloid observations...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Redleg

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2003
Hey, all...

I've been using a combination of bentonite and sparkalloid as an initial fining method for quite some time. Basically, boil together 2 Tbsps each of bentonite and sparkalloid in about 2 cups of water for 10 minutes, then slowly add and stir to primary. Wait 2 weeks, and rack off the lees. Works like a charm...

I currently have 2 batches that I decided to omit the bentonite and just add sparkalloid. The sparkalloid my local HB shop had was of the cold-mix variety, requiring no initial boiling...just add water and add to primary.

So, after adding the usual 2 tablespoons of sparkalloid to my mead and then stirring slowly, I returned 2 weeks later to find a sparkalloid "floe" on the surface of the mead. Additionaly, the mead was still cloudy as anything, though visible fermentation ended weeks prior.

A few nights ago, I added bentonite, and am waiting for the results right now.

Has anybody else had varying results with hot versus cold-mix sparkalloid as a primary fining agent?

Brian

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns