• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

conical bottem fermenters

Barrel Char Wood Products

dragonlord

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 15, 2004
I would like to know the advantages or disadvantages of using a conical bottom primary / secondary fermenter.
Also thank you for the great web site and forum I intend on picking alot of your brians if you dont mind.
from michigan
chris ;D

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
I can only speak in theory as I haven't had the pleasure of a conical myself.

Removing lees... After lees settle to the bottom a valve is opened to allow the lees to be removed with out transfering the entire batch. When the outflow clears, you close the valve.

Connical bottom would concentrate more of the yeast in the center, making more of the fermentation in the center, creating in essence an up draft in the center of the tank... possibly this would increase agitation and better stir the must, as opposed to a diffuse bubbling.

Cleaning, All the water will run down and out the center whole because it is the lowest point. Compare this to a jar used for sun brewed tea with a spout on the side... water level drops below spout, you have to tip the 1 gallon Jar to get rest out... Now imagine a 500 gallon jar of Stainless Steel.

They used to have a plastic Connical in Homebrew size, But i never got my hands on one.

dragonlord

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 15, 2004
thanks for the info it makes sense.
I found one at a homebrew supplie in livonia michigan called the wine barrel its located on plymouth road and I think they have a web sight
thank you again
chris

jkcapello

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2004
Hey Folks, I bought an 8 gal conical minibrew from Alternative Beverage, 114-E Freeland Lane, Charlotte, NC 28217, (704) 527-7003, for 151.20 + 20.00 s&h. I've got a batch going in it right now. When I did my first rack, I just slowly opened the valve, drained it into a glass measuring cup. It only took about 2 cups to get clear must. It's great compared to my old racking cane and multiple fermenters. But here's the only drawback, replace ALL of the cheap plastic nipples with either stainless or good solid PVC. The 8 gal stands about 4 ft high and about 14" in diameter. So far so good. I'll keep everyone posted on how well it works.
Regards,
John :)

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
Something I learned the hard way - when you order a conical, make sure that it has a steeply sloped bottom. I have to gently pound on the sides of my conicals with a rubber mallet to get the trub to fall down. :mad: Annoying, and not what I had in mind when I bought them.

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
ScottS said:
Something I learned the hard way - when you order a conical, make sure that it has a steeply sloped bottom. I have to gently pound on the sides of my conicals with a rubber mallet to get the trub to fall down. :mad: Annoying, and not what I had in mind when I bought them.
Did you get one with the "standard" 60 degree bottom, or is yours shallower than that?

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Dang, I guess there's a cone on the bottom of that ??? I plan to go with a conical hopper from Toledo Metal Spinning when I get ready to upgrade. It's cheaper than a ready-made fermenter and I know it's 60 degrees. Is there any way to modify yours to add a cone?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns