• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

benefits of aging mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mike

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2003
www.ciphi.ca
I made a one gallon batch of ale mead about 8 months ago. I used one pound of basswood honey and an ounce of Cascade hops (half ounce bittering, quarter ounce aroma, quarter ounce dry hop). I'm not a big fan of Cascade, as I prefer other ale hops such as Willamette, Fuggles, Kent Goldings and Hallertauer, but I had some on hand, so what the hell.

After it finished it's 4 week ferment, the Cascade flavour and aroma was so strong that it almost made me gag. I came this close (holding finger and thumb about 1/4 inch apart) to pouring the whole thing down the drain and writing the batch off as an experiment gone bad. But thankfully I put it back and let it age over the spring and summer.

I came across it the gallon jug of the formerly foul concoction this evening while cleaning out my brewing area. I tried some, and I have to admit that it wasn't bad at all. I'm glad I didn't throw it out. The strong Cascade flavour has dissipated and mellowed out a lot. I'm going to let it keep ageing for at least another six months or so. Maybe I'll bring a litre or two to my homebrew club's mead night next April.

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
Years ago, I nearly drank the entire batch of my first mead, immediately after it was done fermenting. I saved one bottle, drank it a year later and will never touch another mead younger than 12 months. The taste difference, was night and day, I experienced the true meaning of ambrosia.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Try a melomel like I just put under the recipe section. After excluding additional acids and nutrients when not needed I found my melomel better than drinkable after 5 weeks from start. If it gets any better with age I don't know if I will be able to stand it. :D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns