• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Honey sources?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Redleg

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2003
Hey, everybody!

Now that US imports of Chinese honey have ceased, where is everybody getting honey below $2 per pound?

The best I could find, after exhaustively searching the US honey suppliers is about $1.87 per pound, not including shipping.

I am trying to get my hands on a dependable bulk apiary/shipper for varieties such as buckwheat.

Any ideas or info would be great!

Brian ;D

chuckwm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 20, 2003
Find the roadside market, farmer's market, fruit stand, health food store, or any other LOCAL location that sells LOCAL honey.

The beekeeper's name and/or telephone number has to be on his product, by law. Call the beekeeper and ask about bulk honey. I have a meadmaking friend that refuses to pay over $1 a pound and still finds beekeepers willing to sell pails to him.

The alternative is call your county extension service and ask for their beekeepers list. They have to keep that to notify beekeepers of any spraying that might affect the hives (like aerial spraying for mosquitos that took place in Virginia last week).

Good honey hunting,

Chuck
beekeeper
meadmaker
and now, mead vinegar too!

batonrouge

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 5, 2003
I'm new to this forum, just joined today. I've made a few meads over the last 2 years with a local wildflower. I'm mainly an all grain beer brewer but I for the last 3 weeks I've really put my time and resources into varietal mead making. I recently made a Tupelo, Orange Blossom and Raspberry mead with imported honey. These are not melomels but floral sources. I'm very impressed with these honeys. My next projects are a braggot in secondary that I'm planning to rack onto 9 Lbs of persimmons and I just recently ordered a rose honey from a beekeeper in Virginia. The beekeeper said it had the aroma of roses. Has anyone ever heard of such honey? I can find no information on the web on a varietal rose honey.

Chris

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Redleg said:
Hey, everybody!

Now that US imports of Chinese honey have ceased, where is everybody getting honey below $2 per pound?

The best I could find, after exhaustively searching the US honey suppliers is about $1.87 per pound, not including shipping.

I buy at $2 a pound from an apiary in Fort myers Florida for orange blossom. I get Buckwheat from www.Dutchgoldhoney.com in 5 gallon pails for about $2.31 a pound delivered to TN from PA. Unless UPS rates have gone up since last shipment. Oddly enough they are 1.87 a pound before shipping.

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
I bought 12lbs (1 gallon?) of raw alfalfa for $20 at one of the local apiaries here in southern Idaho.

If you buy more you get a better price...

I think that comes to about $1.67 per lb.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Half your luck.

US$20 -> AU$25.90
12 lbs -> 5.44 Kg -> AU$4.76/Kg

I just found some cheap honey (cheap because it is raw, extra bits in it for the price :D) at AU$7.99/Kg

Off-the-shelf at the supermarket is about AU$13/Kg

I'm sure I could get cheaper from an Apiarist (? spelling).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns