• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Poor Man's Equipment?

Barrel Char Wood Products

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
Okay, I am living on a very tight college student's budget. I am not afraid of putting a little money down but I would prefer to keep the costs as low as possible. Also, the nearest brew store is too far away for me to drive there -- especially if I can make the stuff for cheaper. Here is my plan:

Primary Fermentor:
5 gal. bucket with lid from Home Depot [like 5.90 or something]
I have 10' of siphon hose that I already picked up for 1.50. I plan on cutting 18 inches off one end. Cutting a hole in the top of the bucket, putting the hose in the hole and using some epoxy (will have to buy this) to hold it in place and seal it. The hose would then be placed in a plastic cup of water with a dab of epoxy to hold it... when filled the cup would sit flat on the top and act as my air lock.

Total cost (considering I have most of this stuff) <7.00

Secondary Fermentor:
I have a PLASTIC five gallon water jug from a water dispensor. Will this work? I have already spent more than I wanted on the PF. The airlock would be done the same way with some more tubing. [I really wish the nearest brewstore was less than 120 miles away.]

I like the plastic water jug because it is light, I can see into it, and it has a built in handle that would help me lift it.

Any ideas or comments as to the pros and cons of such a setup? Another small note on why I wish to keep costs down. I am living at home to afford college and my mother is very anti-alcohol. She knows I drink once in a while and she copes (heck your 23 year old son is a little old to ground) but she does her best to keep me from drinking. I know if she found this setup she would destroy or throw it away. I feel it is pretty safe in the back of my closet because she respects my privacy. But if something horrible were to happen I would much rather be out $15 buck than $50.

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
One more thing, if the plastic water cooler bottle would be wrong because it is semi-permiable to air... would it be better to use another five gallon bucket because it is thicker? I really doubt I could find or afford a glass carboy.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I've used plastic water jugs as fermenters with varied success...however, i feel (and i think most people would aggree) that glass is always better because it is less likely to harbor harmful bacteria if nothing else. honestly you can pick up a glass carboy for $15 if you look around, and once you have it you have it forever. its worth the investment for something that will potentially improve your product and you will be able to use for years to come. it will cost you alot more than $15 dollars if you prepare a batch of mead in a plastic fermenter and it goes bad on you! I would also suggest against the use of epoxy...who knows that toxic chemicals it may leach into your mead. your going to be drinking this stuff so its better to be safe than sorry. a proper airlock costs 95 CENTS! and can be purchased from any online brewshop (no need to drive 120 miles).

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
Alright, I did find a closer shop to where I live. Took some searching but there is one only 40 miles away. I have class less than 10 miles from it so I plan on checking it out Monday. If anything I will pick up a couple of airlocks. And check the prices on the primary and secondary fermentors. From what I can tell a primary is probably only going to cost me two or three bucks more than I was going to spend on one anyway.

As for the secondary... I know you are probably right but images of prohibition agents smashing bottles of booze rush through my head each time I think of my mother discovering it. ;-) Although I doubt she would smash it in my closet like my imagination pictures it. If I can really pick on up for 15-16 dollars I might as well... damn haven't finished one batch and I already hooked on upgrading my equipment. lol

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I guess this is kind of a personal question and of course you dont have to answer it if you dont want to but...how do you plan on producing mead in someones house without them knowing? i mean how do you sanitize your equiptment and how do you plan on bottling without taking over the kitchen? Do you pasturize your must? i suppose i'm just curious as to what kind of process you are using.

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
I go to college at night and in the late afternoon. My mother teaches during the day. If I get up at 7am, right as she leaves, I have 7-8 hours of time to do everything. I pasturize on the stove and clean everything by hand when done. Right now I use bleach with lots of water and soak the materials in it for about 10-15 minutes then rinse about 5 times. Two times past when I last can smell any scent of bleach.

When it comes to the smell coming from my closet I just use an air freshener or two to cover that up. My mom actually was looking for some papers in a drawer right by the closet for 5 minutes last week and didn't smell anything. Of course, 1 gal smells a lot less than I imagine 5 gals will. My closet is my best advantage in hiding the whole process. It is filled with tons of random stuff and my mom is afraid to even go in it. If she thinks something is in it that she needs she will ask me for it.

Now, it might be harder to disguise a 5 galllon glass bottle on the bottom shelf filled with sweet golden nector... but I also keep a bunch of old blankets and clothes in there. Just pile them around it.

And one last note: My mom is not out looking to find stuff. She doesn't really want to know anything that would imply her son is less than she wants him to be. As long as I keep it reasonably hidden and make sure I leave nothing weird in the kitchen I should be relatively safe. That and the upcoming holiday are working for me right now. We have an absolute no-snoop rule in our house that applies to anyone. Closets and personal drawers are off-limits till after Christmas day. If you need something wait and ask. I have never loved the fact that this rule is so completely obeyed more than right now.

frob23

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 5, 2003
Okay, after talking with the guy at the local brewstore I have set out on a plan of gradual buildup. Makes sense since I won't need a secondary for at least a month anyway. I spent about $16 on a bucket, airlock, and yeast. Not really cheap considering I could have made it for half the price but not really a killer outlay. The only downside is the big frosty mug emblem and the words brewing bucket painted on the side of the extra tall bucket with drainspout and airlock in my closet. lol. Going to be harder to explain that away as a science experiment.

In a couple of weeks to a month I will go down and spend the $18.95 on a glass carboy. Not $14 but it is the best I can probably find without stealing one from a local buisness (yes, I am on the lookout for an unguarded one). That, stopper, and another airlock (so I can have more than one batch) probably put me into the lower $20s range. So, three times what I wanted to spend... but I rest secure knowing I could have done it for cheaper I just "decided" to go the high road.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns