• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Beginner Questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Ok I just started my first batch of mead and I went with ThirstyViking's advice and went with a cyser. I have a couple questions:

Am I suppose to put water in my airlock? I saw some instructions like this and had no idea. Right now there is nothing in my airlock. I didn't ruin the mead did I?

I used a gallon jug of apple juice for the cyser, but the thing is the jug is plastic. Would I be able to rack the mead into this when the time comes?

Later on when I decide to go larger, would I be able to use some of those large plastic water jugs? You know, the kind that the water guy delivers?

Thanks in advance!

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
Yes, you want to put water in the airlock as it gives an airtight seal while letting the CO2 out at the same time.

I wouldn't use plastic. Go with glass if you can. Plastic has a thing about hanging onto bacteria really well.

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Oh ok. I'll go ahead and do that as soon as I get home! I hope I didn't ruin it though... :eek:

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I use my sanitizing solution in the airlock to kill any little beasties!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns