• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Avocado?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
In the Philippines, avocados are used in desserts - like ice cream and shakes.

Avocado shake. Scoop the fleshy part of the fruit from the shell, mash it smooth with milk and sugar, add ice. Or put it in a blender with ice, sweetened condensed milk or cream. This is not nearly as horrifying as it sounds (or LOOKS).

After resently trying this, my dmntd mind went straight to Avocado Melomel.

Any thoughts?

Anthony

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
First thing that popped into my head is that avocados are very fatty/oily...steps'd have to be taken to mitigate that, but it does sounds tasty! And just imagine the colour!!

intothefray

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 11, 2005
I would think too many fatty acids. One thing I noticed in some of the asian countries, they use red beans to sweeten desserts instead of sugar.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Served with biscuits & cheese. Could be interesting... Going to use Avocado Honey too? Would you be adding it in the primary or secondary? My Suggestion would be the secondary, Avocados are high in fat content but low in carbohydrates which might inhibit yeast growth. Nutritional Info follows...

avocados per 100 grams (3 1/2 ounces) edible portion includes: water 74 grams; food energy 167 calories; protein 2.1 g; fat 16.4 g; including 3 g saturated fatty acids and 9 g. unsaturated including 7 g. oleic and 2 g. linoleic acid; carbohydrate 6.3 g. including 1.6 g. fiber; ash 1.2 g; calcium 10 milligrams; phosphorus 42 mg.; iron 0.6 mg; sodium 4 mg.; potassium 604 mg; magnesium 45 mg; vitamin A 290 International Units; thimaine 0.11 mg.;' riboflavin 0.2 mg; niacin 1.6 mg; and vitamin C 14 mg.

Wrathwilde

Damn, two new posts while I was researching... got to work on that.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Anthony, in Brazil people drink avocado shakes. I grew to like them too - but they are very fattening! Another favorite with small children is mashed avocado with a little sugar and milk to make a puree. But how would you deal with all that fat in a mead?

Miriam

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Miriam said:
But how would you deal with all that fat in a mead?
Miriam

Probably the same way I had to do with my chocolate mead, in the primary there was more than a half inch of oil that layered on top. When I racked... I racked below the oil and stopped just before it transfered over to the secondary. Now I have about a 1/16 on top of the secondary. I will rack below it again.

Wrathwilde

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
I'm with Wrathwilde as to dealing with the oil, simply rack from under it.

The honey used would be a major factor, I'm thinking for the best flavor and color a light colored honey would be best. Star Thistle or Acacia? 2 lb/gal. dry - 3 lb/gal. semi-sweet?

How many pounds of avocado per gallon of mead, and which type? Not sure the normal 3-4 lb per gallon ratio shouls apply here.

Mash the avocado and must together in the primary bucket, then pour to secondary?

Skip this idea and make a show mead?

Anthony

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Start with a 6.5 gallon Show mead, on first racking... rack over avocados for a 1 gallon batch, the rest into a 5 gallon carboy. See how you like it before expanding.

Wrathwilde

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns