• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Judging Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
I've been wondering...

Lets say a sack mead has been entered in a competition and one of the judges just hates sweet anything, a glass of this very sweet mead is set before him/her to rate.

Will they base an opinion on the qualities of the mead?
or
Will a personal dislike taint the score they give the mead?

Anthony

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
They will judge as appropriate to the style regardless of personal taste in most cases, especially with professional / experienced judges. Small events made up of untrained / unexperienced judges will vary. Mostly it will be characteristics as appropriate to flavor and style. For instance... If I hate strawberries and am judging a strawberry Melomel... I would be judging it only on how well it respects the varietal and style, and not on personal like or dislike of such.

Wrathwilde

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Most of the judges are pretty well versed in styles and are able to objectively judge styles that are not in their list of favorites objectively. The judging qualifications and certification programs for BJCP judges are set up to try and minimize the number of subjective palates that enter the judging arena.

There are checks and balances built in to ongoing credential retention, continuing education and judging point system that are also designed to weed out those who are not objective in their judging. Another factor is the actual judging of the mead and the comments/remarks made on the judging sheets by each judge. If a competitor feels that he has not been given objective review based on style and guidlines, they have an avenue to lodge complaints.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns