• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Juice additions

Barrel Char Wood Products

chiashurb

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2005
2 Questions:

At what point, or points during the meadmaking process is it appropriate to add fruit juice?
When adding juice, is it necessary to pasteurize the juice (and cool it, of course!) before pouring in?

Thanks in advance for the help!

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Chiashurb,

When making melomels from juices or juice concentrates, there are many different methods that people follow. Some only add the juice in primary, others wait for secondary, some do both, some actually wait until bottling time, and some use whatever technique it takes to achieve the effect they're after.

As a rule of thumb, fruit and fruit juices fermented in primary will change in flavor -- for instance, fermented grape juice (wine) doesn't taste much like unfermented grape juice. This is not to say that this is a bad thing -- it simply depends on your taste. Juices added in secondary fermentation will usually hold a closer bead on the original fruit flavor. Some folks add fruit and/or juice in both primary and secondary in order to achieve a "layered" effect with the flavor. It's whatever you're after.

As for pasteurizing fruit juices, this is not generally necessary, and is even counter-productive, since virtually all fruits and fruit juices will have pectin in them to some degree or other, and heating makes this set, the way grape juice will become jelly. The resulting mead will oftentimes gain a pectin haze that will be very hard to remove, though it doesn't effect the flavor. Still and all, some people boil or heat their must (in this case, honey, water, and juice together, or just honey and juice), and add something called pectic enzymes, available from any homebrew supply store. This has the effect of breaking down the pectin's tendency to set, and, in theory, will produce a nice clear mead. I've heard of mixed results with this, actually, and I generally use pectic enzymes to solve particular problems, rather than simply as a matter of course. And, again, if you don't heat the juice, you won't have the problems to begin with.

-David

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
It depends on what you're going for.
I made a pyment where the honey was dissolved in Welches grape juice and water addition was minimal. I am still waiting for it to clear since I heated the juice and at the time I had no clue of pectins pectic enzymes :'(
The other mels, I added fruit in both primary and secondary and they are clearing nicely.

Ted

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns