• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What's the strangest mead you've made?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
I was just pottering around the carboys and started wondering - what would a list of all our off-beat meads look like? My three strangest meads are:

Prune Melomel
Tomato Melomel
Lactomel

All turned out pretty good. The prune is delicious, with a heady aroma of slivovitz. The tomato still has to mellow out, but if it's like straight tomato wine, the fruit taste will disappear with time and I'll have a light-golden, semi-dry mead. The lactomel is OK - good as an experiment, but nothing to rave about so far. I'll let it sit for a year more and then see.

Miriam

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Well, legumel takes the gold for me, followed by my Solar Braggot (Miriam knows what I'm talking about, and she's very kind, but I just can't face the rest of ya's -- especially the beer and braggot set). Finally, maybe this Bunratty Melomel thing I've got going; it actually makes me speculate about doing more of this kind of "renovating": maybe turning a really cheap jug wine into a nice pyment or hippocras...?

Gee, I've been mazing for mumble-mumble years, but all of these recipes were from within the last 12 months. I think I'm getting spooky in my old age.

-David

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hands down, it's Peanut Butter Mead. Mention of it brings the same looks as my peanut butter chicken soup.

Anthony

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Dmntd said:
Hands down, it's Peanut Butter Mead. Mention of it brings the same looks as my peanut butter chicken soup.

Hmmm . . . if you added red pepper flakes and noodles to the peanut butter chicken soup, would that qualify as Thai cuisine? ;D

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
My strangest and what turned out to be one of my best meads was a Chipotle mead -- smoked chile pepper with *lots* of heat.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Dan McFeeley said:
Hmmm . . . if you added red pepper flakes and noodles to the peanut butter chicken soup, would that qualify as Thai cuisine? ;D

I was going to say that it sounded West African to me.

Miriam

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Dan,

It's an original recipe I came up with while learning to cook Thai Cuisine. The base for this soup comes from Tom Ka Gai, chicken stock & coconut milk. After that chicken and chili's are all they have in common.

My girl hope, is the only one who can eat it without bursting into flames, when I make it for myself.

Anthony

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
I must say...peanut butter mead sounds OK. It's the avocado mead that made me feel disoriented. :eek:

Miriam

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Miriam,

I know what you mean. After thinking on it for a bit, it really didn't seem to be a good idea.

Anthony

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
I thought the avocado mead was made using avocado honey? It was made with avocados? Don't get me wrong, my parents grew up in Arizona, and guacamole is something I could eat morning, noon, and night - but in mead? Sounds bizarre . . . *grins*

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Anthony, I do understand your giving up the avocado mead! Avocadoes are so full of fat...betcha worse than peanuts.

Scout, yes, usually people are referring to the honey from the avocado flower. I have used it, and it's heavy but nice.

Miriam

hedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2005
So I have a few that MIGHT count.
How about the jasmine mead with the killer foam?? Giant pile of sweet smelling, hissing brown foam that looks like something from a bad horror flick? The jasmine part isn't too wierd, but I think the funky hissing foam might count as wierd.
Or how about my "wildflower raisin-cannon mead". Yeppers, some wildflower honey, handfull of raisins, some hyper little yeasties and POOF!!! I end up coming home to find a pile of foam on the ceiling and raisins embedded in the ceiling drywall. somehow the airlock stayed on, but still got dimples in the ceiling where the raisins dug in.
do they count??
hedgehog

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns