• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

This stuff is great!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Shamrock

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 2, 2005
OK....so we finally got the first ever batch of mead bottled up...the stuff we started in June. 15 lbs honey, 5 gallons spring water, EC-118, 1 lb raspberries, 1 fresh lemon's juice. This mead is very good and I am surprised how much so. I'm really glad I read the posts on this forum before I attempted the first batch.
I'll be starting the next batch sometime this week.

Cheers. ;)

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
:) I've found mead to be the easiest of the fermented beverages to to make "good". I've done beer and wine also, but mead takes it. And there's so much room for creativity!

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
memento said:
And there's so much room for creativity!
Translation: "We'll ferment anything that stands still." *big grins*

Shamrock, I can't believe you actually waited for your first batch to be finished before starting a second! I couldn't stand the waiting, and had to start more batches just so I wouldn't mess with the first (AO). *grins*

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
That where I am. I have one batch bottled and 4 in progress. If I'm not doing something, I'll drink all of my first batch!

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
memento said:
:) And there's so much room for creativity!

This is exactly what makes Mead so appealing to me as well. You can either aim for the basic honey flavor, or let your imagination go wild. One of the great joys is going into a natural food store like the Outpost, and wlking around smelling stuff. Intruiging possibilities come to mind and I find it hard not to just start buying stuff to start a batch. I am new to this, so i am perfecting the basics befoer I go insane with ingredients.

Also, as a certain rotten 'friend' of mine can attest to, it is near impossible to keep your hands off the stuff while you wait. I have 4 batches going, and can easily see ten times that going at the same time just so that I have a constant supply while I make up new batches.

Angus

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
Okay, so thankfully I wasn't drinking my coffee at the time or my screen would likely be covered in it, but now I have this image of Angus walking around the grocery store sticking his nose into everything to decide if it would be good in mead. Since I don't actually know what Angus looks like, it's a bizarre image. Right now, it's a tall burly redhead in a kilt sticking his nose in a loaf of bread with a thoughtful look on his face . . . . *big grins*

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
ok. If you really want to know what I look like, this is me with a friend giving me a noogy.

a78a.jpg

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
Great, Angus, now instead of seeing you with your nose stuck in a loaf of bread wondering it would ferment, I see you sticking your nose in some guy's armpit . . . . EWWWWWW! *grins*

Shamrock

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 2, 2005
scout said:
memento said:
And there's so much room for creativity!
Translation: "We'll ferment anything that stands still." *big grins*

Shamrock, I can't believe you actually waited for your first batch to be finished before starting a second! I couldn't stand the waiting, and had to start more batches just so I wouldn't mess with the first (AO). *grins*

Well, I wanted to start a second batch, because making the first one was a lot of fun..and easy too! A lot easier than I thought...however, I have been pretty busy with other stuff, including building a house and moving to it in August and unpacking into September.
Making the mead was good fun, and it was a family affair getting it bottled..we had a small assembly line going...
I'm going to make two more batches this week after I get some honey from the local apiary. One like the first batch, raspberry mead and the other will be a blueberry-maple mead. Should be interesting.
I drank a little too much of the mead last Tuesday evening and ended up bombed. That stuff is more potent than I thought! ;D However, funny thing was the next day, I had no hangover.

I

irishoneme

You're luck indeed, Shamrock.. a mead hangover is nothing to trifle with!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns