• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Infection

Barrel Char Wood Products

jrigal

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 27, 2005
What are the signs of infection? I hear a lot about this, but don't know what I'm looking for.

This is really of interest now, because, as I am new to this, I found I made a mistake. I racked my 4 week cyser, starting by mouth. I've been doing some reading through posts and trying to learn, and I found that this could cause infection. I know, I should have known, especially with the strict rigorous sterilization I've been doing. I was told to do it this way from some ole timer winemakers. Now I know better.

So, what kind of symptoms should I be keeping a watch for?

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
Unless you have a real bad infection in your mouth (and even then) the bacteria will not be able to live in an enviroment with alchol.

A commercial winemaker friend of mine starts his smaller rackings like this all the time (and has never had a problem). I also have never had a problem with it.

Brian

mead_monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2004
My last (and first) batch got infected and had white-ish circular blobs growing on top.

The infection could have been caused by other things, but im suspicious of the fact that i started my syphon tube with my mouth.

I'm no expert though
Take my story with a grain of salt and a drop of mead. ;)

Digital

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Although i'm sure there are plenty of people who syphon by mouth and have never had a problem, i would still suggest against it. Its easy enough to fill your racking cane with water to start the syphon with and you know you arent introducing unwanted elements.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
As did I, and believe me when I say that it is the easiest way I have ever found to start the siphoning.

yhst-29272267232710_1859_71078

CheshireCat

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
Dmntd said:
Here's a link that covers some of the troubles run into with wine - http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp -

Anthony

That's some good info there. Bookmarked! Although I was taken back a bit when I read "destroy the batch." in the Rotten Egg Smell part.

Destroy? Mead? Blasphemous! But I guess sometimes it can't be avoided, eh? :'( Although I'd prefer to let the thing sit in the closet forever than dump it...

Rusty_Bucket

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
Yeah...I just had to pour an entire batch of Apple mead down the drain because of the Rotten Egg Smell. I feel that I can safely say, among you men and women who will, no doubt understand, that I did....weep :'(

So to make up for it I started 3 new batches ;D

Freedom Foundry

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 11, 2005
Rusty_Bucket said:
Yeah...I just had to pour an entire batch of Apple mead down the drain because of the Rotten Egg Smell. I feel that I can safely say, among you men and women who will, no doubt understand, that I did....weep :'(

So to make up for it I started 3 new batches ;D

You might as well age any batch, it's bound to improve. A friend made a canteloupe liquor (he called it that although it was just high-alcohol, not distilled) that smelled like rotten eggs. He stuck it in the cellar for a year, and it became something else. It's not perfect, and there were still slight off-flavors, but I found it a good drink.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns