• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Shipping Laws confusing!

Barrel Char Wood Products

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
So I've been trying to figure out whether it is legal to ship some of my brews to my uncle, who lives in Washington, but the Texas Alcohol codes are almost impossible to make out. I can see that I am allowed to make it, give it to friends and family, can't sell without appropriate permits, yada yada yada. What I can't see is whether I can ship it or not. I am not planning on selling it, I didn't buy it (so it doesn't fall under the laws for "consumers"), I'm not planning on sending it to anyone under 21.

I've looked at the wineinstitute winelaw section, and it is only talking about wineries and distributors. Does anyone have any idea about whether it is legal or not? Or whether I should find out from a lawyer? Thanks for any light you guys can shed on this . . .

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
AFAIK (and I'm no expert, AND am in Canada) as long as you dont send it via regular mail, but use Fedex or something, and are kinda circumspect about it (ie: write yeast samples on the manifest) you *should* be fine.

Others here likely have more experience tho.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I haven't done it yet but the same thing was recommended to me that Mynx just posted. Pack it well. Maybe seal it in something that would hold the liquid if a bottle leaked or shattered. Make sure there is no money involved in what you are shipping. Label it as yeast samples. And ship by something other than the US Post Office.

Then remember to continue to post from whatever jail they throw you into... (just kidding)

intothefray

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 11, 2005
I know we all gift our creations, but I don't think attention is made that we're only allowed to produce for personal and family use. I believe that is intended be only consumed in the same household.

Exceptions are made for competitions, tastings, etc and it makes it clear nothing can be sold, however gifting is never mentioned.

Shipping is also usually handled in state law, Texas law isn't even clear on this for actual producers.. I read it 20 times awhile back and it never made sense to me.

Nobody is going to be arrested for gifting or even shipping small quantities and it has already been said how to be discrete. I don't think there is an actual way to ship it legally unless you're doing so commercially.

crap someone posted as I was typing.. good info too.

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
LOL, I hate when that happens intothefray. Often my post can be rather long with info caoming from a number of websites, it's not uncommon for 2 o 3 people to post ing the time it takes me to get the info in order and typed out.

I should see 'bout getting a typist who can type what I'm thining.

Anthony

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
On packaging a bottle of liquid for shipping:

You need:
1 piece of 4 inch PVC pipe cut to appropriate length.
2 4 inch PVC pipe caps.
Foam.

Cut PVC to length - hacksaw works well.
Glue one end on the tube.
Pack bottle in tube - make sure to put foam above, below, and around the bottle.

Use heavy packing tape to seal the top cap to the tube.

I have never had a bottle of "vinegar" broken in transit.

I

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Or if that's too much like work do what I do...

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_5450.asp?desc=Styrofoam+Wine+Shippers

I get the 2 bottle shippers.

I tell the shippers it's Marinade. Honey Maple, Cherry... whatever the flavor its marinade.

Wrathwilde

PS for Oskaar,
I'll be sending you my Original Honey Maple (the one that scored 89), and a Cherry Melomel in about 2 weeks. I'll let you know when they ship.

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the info, guys! I really like your packaging idea for "vinegar", David. My roommate said it seemed like an awful lot of work and materials, but I figure this way I can convince my uncle to send it back to me with some of his wine in it - he just became the winemaker for a small family winery in Washington. *grins* He's already promised me some Riesling.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns