• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Must we keep our mead in the dark?

Barrel Char Wood Products

MacLupine

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2005
www.maclakey.us
What adverse effects does light have on mead while fermenting?
I did a search on "Effects of Light" and heh... the results were not what I wanted.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
For beer, light causes off-flavours (I'm no beer expert). IIRC, it is related to the hops, so maybe you would need to be extra careful with a braggot.

I ferment in PETE, which is clear. I keep the carboys out of direct sunlight (except when I sit it in the sun to warm the yeasties up in winter). But they sit in a room where they receive light indirectly (ie, it's not in a dark cellar with only artificial lighting).

I wouldn't lose sleep over it during fermentation. Avoid sunlight (direct) if possible during aging.

YMMV

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
The problem with "light struck" beer is that sunlight and florescent lighting (to a lesser extent) react with the oils in hops to turn the aroma/flavor skunky. I have tasted homebrews affected thusly and it is both noticable and unpleasant. :eek:
I'm less clear on how it affects wines/meads, but my view is that since it is not necessary and may be detrimental, avoid it at all costs! :)

Freedom Foundry

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 11, 2005
JamesP said:
I ferment in PETE, which is clear. I keep the carboys out of direct sunlight (except when I sit it in the sun to warm the yeasties up in winter).

YMMV

Have you tried covering your carboy with a black blanket in the sunlight? That might warm it up without danger of skunking.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
I leave them in the sun for less than 30 mins, and I haven't noticed significant effects. But I should cover them ::) - I just never think of it.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I cut a small 2 inch slot in the center of the bottom of a large black plastic trash bag and slide it upside down over the carboy. The slot fits over the trap and neck of the carboy. While it doesn't insulate the batch from higher or lower temps, it is a cheap way to provide darkness and protection from the damaging effects of light...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns