• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

corks in bottle

Barrel Char Wood Products
H

hidden_spring

I'm new to making mead .... we found a bunch of wine bottles that have the corks pushed in the bottles. What is the best way to get them out? Thanks

jpr

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
I'd say that it's too much to bother with. Hit your local restaurant (that serves wine) and ask them for their empties. I have a constant supply of bottles that way. :)

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Hi jpr,

Best way I have found:

Get a handkercheif, not too thick and fairly strong, and push it into the bottle leaving one corner out. Turn the bottle onto its side and shake until the cork lands on the cloth in line with the neck. Pull hard, and the cork will get pulled out fo the bottle by friction.

Angus

intothefray

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 11, 2005
Only 2 local restaurants serve wine. Both will not save them (I think someone that works there takes most of them). The one place that gives them to me only gives me 1 at a time and it's out of the trash...

I'm VERY low on wine bottles as I don't drink wine and soon to be ex hates wine. Only know one person that does and haven't received a bottle from them yet. I would switch to beer bottles, but I can't even keep enough of them to make beer...

So, salvage them if you can. If they're old brittle corks it might be easier to break them up and get them out in pieces. I've never tried the handkercheif trick, but it sounds like it'd work or at least lodge them in the beck enough to use a corkscrew.

Rusty_Bucket

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
Fray,
when I need bottles I hit the local recycle center, they usually have an entire dumpster full. Take some HEAVY leather gloves, sometimes I have to sift through a few broken ones but after a good washing and a blech soak they are good as new.
Hope that helps
RB

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns