• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Melomel question

Barrel Char Wood Products

meadmonster

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2005
How long do you guys leave a Melomel on the fruit? and how long do you age once it's racked off the fruit.
Thanks

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hey Meadmonster,

I can only speak to hte way I do things. I leave the mead on the fruit until it taste the way I want it to, once it reaches a point where I like the flavor of it, I'll rack off the fruit, but... I'm not the one to speak on aging. once fermentation has ended (Igo for dry), and the mead is clear, I bottle. After bottling I'll wait a month or so to open one up, if it's good enough for my freinds, I start drinking it then.

Happy mazing,

Anthony

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey MM,

Dmntd has it right. Let it sit until it comes up to taste.

Some people use formula to match specific recipes, but in my experience time frames are less realistic than tasting and allowing the fruit to infuse to the level of taste, aroma and character that you want. I personally think that timeframes set in stone or measured by time, etc. are formulaic and don't take into account the variances in honey, water, fruit, temperature, aging environment, etc. and do not really give the meadmaker the latitude to explore his/her vision. That being said, at a basic level it is important to have structure as you begin and develop your technique. There are many recipies on this site that should be followed to the letter. The biggest problem by far that I see is when a first time meadmaker changes the ingredients in a recipe, and doesn't understand why it turns out less than great. Kind of like driving a car, learn the basics and know your car before you try to set it into a two wheel drift around a corner.

After that you can add some oak if you like and again, allow it to infuse to the level you like. Basically I don't follow a set time frame because I don't follow a period or specific recipe except my own style/way of mazing. So I let things go and taste, and when they get to the point of where I think they're just right, I let them go a little longer to over magnify just a bit so it has some mellowing "wiggle room" after it's bottled. That way it can integrate and "simmer" down a bit to where it's just right.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns