• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Re: Fermenting Raspberry Cordial

Barrel Char Wood Products

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005

That's very interesting, i would venture to guess the frozen fruit will still have some yeasties, they do survive freezing (spores?)
The question I have is : where are the recipes?
I know a few people that LOVE raspberries!

Thanks in advance,
Brewbear

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com

(note: This topic was split from this topic:
http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?op...&topic=3091.from1135866427;topicseen#msg26267 - read the previous info there)

OK, so, the raspberries were pureed, and packaged by the local brewshop. I assume he gets them in bulk somewhere, probablyl from a wine base producer, so I assume they've been processed at least slightly.

Here's the recipe I used, from Cordials from your Kitchen:

1 1/2 pounds fresh raspberries, picked over and washed (I used pureed raspberries from the brewshop, or use wine base)
1 cup sugar
3 cups white zinfandel
1 1/2 cups 100 proof vodka
2 cups water

Crush raspberries and sugar together in bowl. Let stand for about 1 hour. (I poured the puree into the jar I was using and went right ahead with the rest). Transfer to clean 2-quart container and add zinfandel, vodka and water. Cover and let stand in a cool, dark place for 3 days, shaking frequently.

Use a fine mesh strainer to strain out solids (I left it on the solids, timing issues and work stuff). Discard. Transfer liqueur to clean container and let stand for 1 week. Rack or filter into a final container. Age for at least 1 month more before serving. Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.

Vicky - making another raspberry, a blueberry, a cherry, a strawberry and an amaretto almond next

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005

Thanks Vicky,
I think I'll just have to make a trip to Trader Joe's and get the raspberries, I have all the other ingredients at hand. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Brewbear

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005

The raspberries I use and which ferment spontaneously are frozen and imported from Poland. If frozen, imported berries ferment like that, I shudder to think what fresh ones would do. ;D

Vicky, your cordial recipe starts like the one I posted in Likker is Quicker. I think that initial hour of standing in a warm place starts those wild yeasts up. I understand that you want to encourage fermentation here, but if you ever wish to avoid it, maybe put the puree/sugar jar in the fridge for the hour.

Miriam

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com

Actually, my intent wasn't to ferment it, none of the others did, the strawberry and blueberry both worked like a cordial is supposed to....LOL

I'll try the fridge thing. The recipe I have is from this book I got at Pennsic this year.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns