• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Stuck 71B

Barrel Char Wood Products

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
I tried to re-pitch a sweet Orange Blossom mead that had stalled out at about 9%. I figure I need atleast 10% to bottle and 11-12 would be nice

So I rehydrated a packet of 71B in warm water with a pinch of goferm and pitched. I got alot of gas build up when I aerated on pitching (almost killed my roommate with the carboy stopper) but nothing since.

I'm considering a new tack--I could repitch with K1V and sorbate the fermentation when it's at the sweetness I want. (around 1.012, ~12%)
suggestions? considerations? help?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Would you post up your exact recipe please, along with re-start efforts to date, additional nutrients, original gravity, starting nutrients, etc.?

That'll help figure out what you can do to kickstart it again.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
This one is a "leftover" from a project I began with a friend of mine.

Simple (a little too simple) Recipe

1 gal Orange blossom Honey

4 gal Water

I assume that my roomate followed the on package instructios and put in 2 1/2 taspoons of DAP (if that seems off, than it was probably one teaspoon)

for what it's worth this must was sulfited prior to pitching yeast the first time.

1 packet K1V rehydrated in water

I dont have his notes (or even know if he took an OG) but by my calculater the OG should be 1.083 (PA 11%)

this was our first joint project, it was living at his house. Fermentation was healthy and rapid, you could see small champagne bubbles rising in the carboy.

Somewhere he'd read the instructions to let it go for 10 days and rack it to secondary, so he did. Fermentation slowed to a crawl immediately and stopped quickly after.

FG 1.012, about 9.5% abv.
That was many months ago, he left town and I inherited this project since I was kind of a part owner in it.

It tasted perfect but I feared that at under 11% it wouldnt preserve. So I added another 3 lb Orange Blossom honey from my LHBS and added it to the carboy with 1/4 t. wyeast food and a packet of 71B rehydrated in goferm. When I agitated the carboy to get it all started it produced a lot of preassure, but the air lock has been still since.
SG ~1.04

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
I suspect when you transferred from the primary to the seconday, you left most of the yeast behind which can cause a stuck fermentation. Jack Keller covers this at the bottom of this link http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/feeding.asp

To correct, you'll need to create a healthy starter, then step it up multiple times... pitching your yeast into your current batch will cause the yeast to die because they are not aclimated to the "higher" alcohol content.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Yeah...the starter thing....
I gotta remember that. ::)

so I was going to rack it off the new lees and lock it away 'til I got a good hearty one going, when I noticed it had started fermenting. About five days late, and slow (1 every 5 seconds or so) but steady.

I'm not sure if I should let it go or not--isnt there a link between slow fermenters and nasty flavors?
I'd hate for this one to end up with that bread smell too...it's so nice right now (my friend descibed it as pear juice, but better)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Wolfie said:
snip . . .Somewhere he'd read the instructions to let it go for 10 days and rack it to secondary, so he did. Fermentation slowed to a crawl immediately and stopped quickly after.

FG 1.012, about 9.5% abv.
That was many months ago, he left town and I inherited this project since I was kind of a part owner in it.

It tasted perfect but I feared that at under 11% it wouldnt preserve. So I added another 3 lb Orange Blossom honey from my LHBS and added it to the carboy with 1/4 t. wyeast food and a packet of 71B rehydrated in goferm. When I agitated the carboy to get it all started it produced a lot of preassure, but the air lock has been still since.
SG ~1.04

Lesson learned, when it tastes perfect, set it aside and let it age.

Now the big question is, do you like the flavor at 1.04, or is it too sweet. If not let it age for a while and taste in a couple of months.

If it is too sweet, stick with K1V dude. That 71B is a shrinking violet compared to the awesome fermentation kinetics of K1V. Beware, if you repitch with K1V you'll have a very dry mead with a very hot attack that will take a while to mellow.

When you tasted it at 1.012 and you liked it was really the time to rack again, and stabilze. Low alcohol meads take less time overall to become drinkable, and mature a bit faster than high alcohol/dry meads.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
Oskaar said:
Lesson learned, when it tastes perfect, set it aside and let it age.

Now the big question is, do you like the flavor at 1.04, or is it too sweet. If not let it age for a while and taste in a couple of months.
1.04 is too sweet, thats Chaucers sweet and it leaves sugar on the side of the bottle and hydrometer. So you think I should let the slow fermentation that just picked up go? Or am I asking for stressed yeast flavors?

I would've let it be, but I heard that you more or less need 10 or 11 abv in order to ensure that it can preserve in a bottle. According to my math it was ~9% (I figured that was part of why it'd aged so fast) So I attempted to sweeten and raise a few %'s. How low an ac is safe?

When you tasted it at 1.012 and you liked it was really the time to rack again, and stabilze. Low alcohol meads take less time overall to become drinkable, and mature a bit faster than high alcohol/dry meads.
Interestingly this mead was started with K1V in it's low acohol semi sweet incarnation.
I had considered the idea of using K1V again, monitoring carefully and killing the fermentation when it got back to where I'd want it--hmmm...sort of like playing Chicken with K1V yeast on the one side, and me with my K sorbate on the other side....
Could that work? Or am I having a 'Custer Moment'?

Oh yeah--one other--I think I read you saying 1 1/2 grams of go-ferm per gram of yeast disolved in 110 f. water is the proper way to prepare it. How many teaspoons approx. is 1 1/2 grams of go-ferm??

Lugh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2005
2 teaspoons of Go-ferm is approx 6.25 grams. 2 teaspoons for 5 grams for yeast.
2 oz water to 110F, add Go-ferm, mix, let it cool to 104F, then add yeast. Mix, let stand 15 to 30 minutes (max).
Double water and go-ferm if you are using 2 packages of K1V.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns