• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

No scum! Please help...DIT

Barrel Char Wood Products

NYMoogle

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 3, 2006
I'm a first time mazer here, working on my first batch. I decided to boil my spices with the water, remove spices, and dissolve the honey in the simmering water. I've been watching it for about 20 minutes now, and no scum is forming! I have it at a low simmer, does the temp need to be higher for scum to form? Or is it really pure honey? Is that possible? Does scum take a while to form ???
Thanks in advance,
NYMoogle

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Take your must off the heat and let it cool. You're fine.

In the future be aware that you don't need to heat your honey.

Use the search tool and do a search on "No Heat" (without the double quotes) and you'll find a wealth of information on the subject.

Cheers,

Oskaar

NYMoogle

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 3, 2006
Thank you very much! I will probably be posting frequently while this first batch is coming along.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I find that the temperature that I get a scum forming is about 170F. I try not to go any higher than that. Then I whisk the tar out of the must and some amount of scum forms. The last batch I made used Dutch Gold Orange Blossom honey. I did note that this honey is pretty well strained and also that it's BRIX content is lower than the Orange Blossom I had previously used. As a result it produced very little scum and I gave up stirring after a while. The little bit of scum I did get was extremely sweet but also had a petroleum taste to it.

Remember that heating or not heating is a personal choice with no right or wrong answer. The best meads I have ever partaken of were made using heated (not boild) musts.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns