• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Blueberry Mead Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

NateDawg

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2006
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

My question is, I recently made a pretty standard mead recipe, 12 pounds local honey dissolved in 5 gallons water. After cooling and racking to 6 gallon carboy I pitched the yeast and topped the fermenter with 3# of frozen then thawed blueberries which I ran through the food processor until I had a thick paste or sludge.

The sludge has now formed a think layer on top of the fermentation. I have a very strong fermentation, but I am worried about the berry sludge layer on top rotting during fermentation.

I plan on racking the mead away from the fruit after one week in primary. Could any of the more knowledgeable posters around here let me know what they think? Thanks in advance.

Nathan

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Welcome to the forums NateDawg!!!

A few questions to better help you out. What type of yeast did you use? If you used a wine yeast it is most likely your batch will ferment bone dry. Most wine yeasts will hit 16-18% and the recipe you posted will only reach about 13%, depending on your yeast's alcohol tolerance you might have to either up your honey content by 1 to 5 pounds, or you will have to stabilize and back sweeten. I'd give it about 3 weeks max on the fruit, as long as it is airlocked properly you needn't be too worried about it rotting, the combination of Alcohol and CO2 will protect it fairly well. Also 3# in 5 gallons is not very much, you may want to add twice that when you rack off the lees into your secondary.

Wrathwilde

NateDawg

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2006
Thanks for the info Wrathwilde. To answer some of your questions, I used EC-1114, and I was actually looking for a dry mead. I plan on bottle carbonating in champagne bottles, and if things go my way, I will have a dry sparkling mead around 12-14% abv, with a nice reddish color and just a hint of actual blueberry flavor. I can already taste it in my mind.

I will most likely rack to secondary this upcoming weekend, but it is good to know that my berries wont go bad in the meantime.

Thanks

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
A man with a plan...wait to go, Nate!
I've left (raw) fruit in the secondary for 6 months, half of which remained flaoting on top the whole time. Never had any infection problems, though the fruit bleached as all the goodness was leeched out.

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
NateDawg said:
To answer some of your questions, I used EC-1114, and I was actually looking for a dry mead.Thanks

I've never heard of that yeast -- EC-1118 maybe?

Steve

NateDawg

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2006
um ya, ec-1118, thats it. That is what I get for not looking at my brew notes before I try to guess what type of yeast I used.

For all of you that care, this mead has now had a very strong fermentation for going on 3 days, but is just now showing signs of letting up. It seems that equal parts of the fruit have sunk to the bottom while the rest remains on top.

Thanks for the advise and I will let y'all know how this turns out.

Nate

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns