View Full Version : No bubbles need help with first batch of mead !

01-18-2006, 09:30 PM
*** Problem solved.. thank you guys***

Hello all I have a stuck fermentation.. well it never really went anywhere I've never seen any bubbles out of it.
I used Joe famous 3 week recipe only I substituted the honey for some dark unknown type I got from a friend. Heres the recipe

2 lbs 3 oz Unprocessed Clover honey (ok to substitute if you must)
7 oz Buckwheat honey (do not substitute)
.6t Grape Tannin (needed for taste and clearing)
1/8t Fermax (more will not be better)
1 5g K1V-1116 (must use this yeast)

Now I hydrated the yeast at 105 left it alone without stirring for 15 minutes stirred it up real good then put it in with the must(67f)

Prehaps I was too rough with my stirring and killed the yeasties ? I just stirred till it was all mixed and no yeast lumps.

SG after yeast 1.9

I shook up the bottle some before and after yeast but not much so after I added yeast. When there was no fermentation I tried shaking the crap out of the bottle. Still no luck.

My house is about 68-70 degrees and I stuck the mead on a heating vent for a few minutes just to warm it up a bit to see if that would make bubbles. No go

What should I do to make my mead go ? I know I didnt follow the recipe exact hence my problems. But there has got to be a way to salvage this : ) ??

Any comments would be very helpfull thankyou.

**edit** at looking through others problems I can also add that everything was cleaned out well and no cleaner was left on the bottle.

(ps I know changing a recipe on your first try isnt too brite but I needed mead in a few weeks so it was this or not make any for a long timel)

01-18-2006, 10:32 PM
How long has the mead been sitting since you pitched the yeast?



01-18-2006, 10:36 PM
28 or so hours.

01-18-2006, 10:48 PM
You can run the yeast through a mixer and it wouldn't kill it. Too much heat would. Give it another day or 2. It could also be the dark unknown type honey from your friend was bad.

01-18-2006, 11:10 PM
He's a bee keeper so the honey was fresh and tastes great.. I just dont know from which flowers and such it came from. I might try the mixer idea if no one else has any idea's

01-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Sounds like it was good honey then, regardless of the flower source. Aerating might help - you may not need a mixer per se. If you still have some air space in your container, just shake the heck out of it for 15 to 30 minutes, or until your arms get tired. If you use a mixer, make sure you sterilize the bowl and beaters.

01-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Hey Mithin,

A couple of quick clarifications please.

What type of water did you use?
You said you rehydrated the yeast by just dumping it in the 104o water and not stirring it, is that correct?

Here's what I'm thinking:

Not sure about the water you used (tap or otherwise) but if it was tapwater you might need to check with your water supplier to look at the chlorine level and it's possible lethality to your yeasties. If that's not an issue that's one to scratch off the probable causes list.

Next, the yeast rehydration. If you just dumped it in and let it sit you really didn't optimize the rehydration of the yeast. You need to mix it well once you've put it in the water, and then let it sit 15 min, then mix again and inoculate within 15 minutes after that.

K1V is not a shy yeast, so I'm surprised, very surprised at your situation. As mentioned below I advise that you shake, rattle and roll this thing for no less than 10 minutes and give it another 1 to 2 days. If there's no activity after that, then you can repitch a fresh batch of K1V rehydrated with Go-Ferm.

Are you sure the ingredients you listed are EVERYTHING you put in that batch? This is very important. Lastly did you substitute anything other than the dark honey?

Hope that helps,


01-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Oskaar Thank you for your work with trying to help me but dare I say it.. I have bubbles !

I suppose I just needed to wait longer for it to start working. Sorry for the trouble of bringing this problem before you guys when I guess I really didnt have one other then not waiting : )

I also used spring water instead of tap because I didnt know if my tap water was any good.

The reason I did what I did with the yeast is my packet told me to put it in 104-109 F water for 15 minutes no stiring. Then to stir untill mixed and add it.

01-19-2006, 12:49 AM
The packet told you to do it that way? Color me skeptical but here's a link the the Lalvin information page (Manufacturers of ICV-K1V-1116).


Hope that helps,


01-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Just lookined in the trash couldnt find the packet. Im sure it said put in water no stirring 15 minutes. What I believe it didnt add but would have been okay was stir first then wait 15 minutes no stirring, which the back of the packet didnt say to do. I plan on making a Cyser with the same yeast from the same brew store so Ill be able to recount the label word for word for you in a day or so.

It seems the reason I've had all this trouble was infact a bad rehydrate from not stirring up the yeast before it was allowed to sit for 15 minutes. Now that we know this is the villian will my mead turn out okay or should I modify something in some way ?

01-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Make sure your yeasties have not been sitting on a shelf at room temp for the last year! Check the expiration date.
I would use D-47 for the cyser, rehydrate it with Go-Ferm and use either DAP or Fermaid-K


01-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Well I actually planned on using the 4 week recipe from here http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=103&topic=1188.0

Which means I have to use the K1V-1116 again.

After I make that I plan on making some proper mead that takes the long haul time. But right now.. I just want something to drink !

01-19-2006, 02:46 AM
I can surely understand that! ;D


01-19-2006, 03:13 AM
The packet told you to do it that way? Color me skeptical but here's a link the the Lalvin information page (Manufacturers of ICV-K1V-1116).

I'm no Mithin, but here's what's on my package:

"Dissolve the dry yeast in 50 mL (2 oz) of warm NOT HOT water (40-43 C/ 104-109 F). Let stand 15 minutes without stirring, then stir well to suspend all the yeasts. .....

01-19-2006, 03:22 AM
Aye.. thats what I saw.. and I followed everything to the letter it being my first batch and all.

01-19-2006, 06:18 AM
I looked at the packets and it does indeed state not to stir, which flies directly in the face of everything I've read, along with the information on their own website. So I'll fire off an email to Lalvin/Lallemand and see what they have to say for themselves. In the mean time, I recommend stirring simply because along with the active dried yeast there are trace elements, nutrients and minerals that need to be suspended in the solution in order for the yeasties to benefit from them during water uptake.



01-19-2006, 11:13 AM
I believe the waiting period "without stirring" is to allow the dehydrated/dried yeast to rehydrate. I generally just pour the yeast in on top of the slightly sugared water in my quart canning jar and lay the lid over the opening. After 5 to 10 minutes I tighten the lid, swirl the mixture until the yeast submerge, loosen the lid, and let it set 5 more minutes. After that I tighten the lid, shake vigorously, then loosen the lid every 5 minutes until I pitch the yeast into the batch. If you are going to stir/oxygenate the batch after you pitch the yeast then shaking the yeast to aerate them is not quite as important after the first time or three.

Please note that loosening the lid after shaking is important as you will get pressure buildup in the jar as the yeast start to work...

Good luck,

01-19-2006, 11:15 PM
If it is of any interest, in The Compleat Meadmaker, p. 61, Ken Schramm advises to rehydrate without stirring.