• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sediment in Bottles

Barrel Char Wood Products

jrigal

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 27, 2005
Need a little help. I bottled my first two batches of Ancient Orange. I waited a little over two months when both had dropped clear, in fact, the oranges had sunk. I checked them both today, and found that the ones bottled from one batch had a light film of sediment on the bottom of every bottle. The layer is just enough to coat the bottom of each bottle. The other batch still looked perfect, with no sediment.

Looks aside (I'm a perfectionist), will this cause off flavors in the mead inside or is this amount acceptable? Do I need to rebottle?

Thanks,

Jay

Side Note: Maybe I'll cold stabilize next time before bottling.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I've had the same thing happen to my AO meads. It happens when I've been in a hurry to get it bottled.

My brother had a bottle tucked away for about a year after bottling and it was fine. Decant carefully to keep the bit of sediment on the bottom of the bottle as you pour.

David

jrigal

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 27, 2005
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I didn't want to rush it, but I was scared of leaving it in the fermenter on its lees because (as per the recipe) I used bread yeast. I waited longer than suggested though.

Maybe I will take that advice and open one now. Couldn't hurt!

hiddendragonet

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2006
I had a mead bulk aging for 8 months, and fined with Sparkalloid, and it still dropped lees in the bottle. It seems crazy to me to even think about bottling a mead in a couple of months, but what do I know? :eek:

jrigal

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 27, 2005
This is the famous "Joe's Ancient Orange" recipe. Some people report bottling this in 5 or 6 weeks. Mine was clear in about 5, but I wanted to make sure it had time to degass if it needed it.

I know a lot of you have made the Ancient Orange. What's the longest you've left it before bottling? Does anybody know how long it would take for the lees from the bread yeast to cause off-flavors?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns