• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Whitening/clarifying mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

JamesB

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2003
Last year, I brewed some lychee mead using a lychee syrup and some clear lychee juice. The final product was totally white/clear in color.

This year, I ordered some lychee juice concentrate from www.naturesflavors.com. The juice concentrate has a brownish color to it, so my mead, befort fermentation at least, is also brown.

Is there any way to take out the brown color so that the final product is crystal clear/white? :-\

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
James,

A brownish color in fruits and fruit extracts is often a sign of oxidation. You may want to think about the manufacturer's Q.C. for the sake of next time, since there's no way to remove it that I've ever heard of. You can mask it, maybe, if it's not too pronounced, by adding a coloring agent; but you'll never get that pretty clear "color" like you had before with this batch. If you wanted to go with something for color that didn't impact the flavor overmuch, you'd have to decide what hue you'd like, and then look for a product to provide it. Personally, I'd use American Saffron (not to be confused with culinary saffron), which, in centuries past was used to provide a bright orange/yellow color to foods and fabrics. This can be found in a good health food store, in the tea section. It's said to have medicinal value as well, but I've never felt any better for drinking it.

-David

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
A bit of lemon juice, some tannin, or a bit of K-metabisulfite will all help to keep your wine (I didn't see you mention any honey so if there's no honey it's not mead) nice and clear/free of brown-ness.

Cheers,

Oskaar

JamesB

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2003
Sorry..I used almost a gallon of honey for a 5 gallon batch.

This time, doing a 15 gallon batch, I think I will mix in some citric acid just to balance the flavor a bit. I use K-metabisulfite at bottling time to prevent renewed fermentation. That these things help to clear up brown-ness is news to me.

Any other ideas for whitening are apprectiated. Maybe I can also use some Crest toothpaste which whitens teeth ;D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Remember that K-meta alone will not prevent renewed fermentation. You'll need to add some K-sorbate along with the K-meta to accomplish that.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
So does that also mean that adding K-sorbate and not sulphite will also be insuficient to prevent renewed fermenting?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
The sorbate will prevent renewed fermenation, but . . . if you use it without K Meta you run the risk of a bacterial infection that will taint your mead with a Geranium smell. If you do a search on "Geranium" you'll find some more information on the subject.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns