• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Profile Update Required - Valid Email Addresses Needed

Barrel Char Wood Products
Status
Not open for further replies.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hi all,

It has come to my attention, by someone posting a nasty PM to a valued GM member, that we've an issue on the forum. The problem was created by me not realizing I needed to change a setting to 'confirmation email required'. This person signed up with a bogus email and slammed a long-time member, and I won't tolerate that.

So, even though this is inconvenient for you, my valued members, I'm requiring everyone to provide a valid email address if you haven't already. If you're thinking I won't *know*, think again. This little trick *PISSED ME OFF*. No one signs up bogus and slams my people, and if I have to hand-verify every email address, I will. Those of you that may have created 'alter egos', make sure that you have a legal email address behind it. You know who you are.

Sorry about the rant folks, but I dislike greatly being used (even though the hole was open because I missed it - its closed now), and will not allow this sort of crap on GM. If I discover that this bogus poster is someone who is already here, *both* accounts will be banned.

The poster's info is as follows:

Name: badtaste
Position:
IP: 71.56.236.228
Hostname:
c-71-56-236-228.hsd1.co.comcast.net
Date Registered: Yesterday at 12:01 pm
Last Active: Yesterday at 12:31 pm
Email: badtaste@bouldermeadfest.com

I have saved this information, and will be searching out the location to ensure that my email about his attempting to hide his identity gets to him. I will have help in this.

Sorry to sound so venal, but I greatly dislike being used as a pawn.

Thanks for your attention,

T

The Honey Farmer

Hi Vicky, just went to my profile as directed and my email is now posted as it wasn't befor. I didn't do that. ??? ??? ??? Oh well. Hope you solve this problem.

Dennis

Lugh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2005
Based on the IP address, it originated in Colorado. I bet the hotel the event was at uses Comcast for their Internet connection, which means it was probably someone at the event; someone who had an entry and didn't like the judging? Poor sportsmanship.

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Poor sportmanship is the kindest word I could come up with!
Just because your mead sucks is no reason to slam the judges, learn and do better next time.
My e-mail is good!

Cheers,
Brewbear

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Yeah, it is sad. Guys, I know that most of you have valid email addresses, and am not worried about my regulars. This guy signed on new, and was able to get an account because of an oversight on my part that is now fixed. I sent out a global email using the system, so the first indication that an email is bogus will be the bounces. That's the first step.

After that, I've got some back-end programs that can check the questionable ones to verify that they're real. Of course, I can't verify that they *belong* to the individual, but I can make sure they're in fact an email.

Just for the record, this person not only used an email address that doesn't exist, he also was too much of a coward to use his real name, and the person he slammed was Ken Schramm. If you're gonna trash someone's work, have the courage to use your real name. Only chickenshits hide behind a pseudonym when they're thrashing someone.

And if the person who did that is *reading this*, have the guts to stand up like a honorable person, instead of hiding behind your online name. I name you yellow and a coward here in public. If you do not, I'll just delete your account. You've broken the rules by using a non-real email address.

Pissed now, fellow GM'rs?

Vicky - who spent time on the phone with Ken apologizing for letting this happen, even though he was not at all upset with *me*

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Let me just echo what Vicky is saying.

To me, this individual is no more than a mewling catamite raging at the adequacy it will never reach. It will find no supporters here on this forum, and will ultimately be found and exposed for the bottomfeeding pond scum it is.

And, should it be reading this thread, I say, congratulations! You have acheived your only exposure to the sunlit world above the sewers you'll ever see. Revel in it, and crawl back below ground, for there will be no more.

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Vicky,

It was Ken they emailed ??? that is so wrong... he's worshiped on this site and many a newbee starts by enshrining one of his recipes and placing it on a warm softly lit altar for several months. All I can think of is the high priest of mead gave an honest appraisal to someone who was expecting to be lavished with high praise, probably in front of someone else that person was hopping to impress, or had maneuvered there to witness the praise he was sure to receive. Definitely bad form to take offense at an honest critique, especially when sought out. What else Ken could have done I don't know... stole off with the wife/girlfriend comes to mind but I think the jealous party would have used their name if that had been the case.
Glad to see you're doing the email verification thing now, most forum & subscription sites do.

Wrathwilde

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Actually, no. Ken didn't speak with the person, the person was critiqueing his seminar at the Fest.

Guys, Ken is the sensitive shy sort, so I'm gonna lock this thread so it won't keep growing and stay at the top. I know you all like and respect him, and I suspect our coward poster is a troll, plain and simple. I think Oskaar and I will simple ban that particular user name, and see what happens.

Thanks for the support, I know Ken would appreciate it. But we're gonna shut this one down, so he isn't embarrassed (yeah, I know, but he's just a nice guy).

Thanks much, my wonderful team out there,

Vicky - really, really going to get some sleep before tackling the next meadery interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns