• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Malt + Fruit

Barrel Char Wood Products

Rintrah

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2006
Well I was buying stuff for my next batch of mead, but when I got home I found out i was facing quite a strange choice. It seems I bought 4 lbs of apples, 2 sticks of cinamon, grinded ginger, caraway spice, grinded clove, 1 lbs of malt extract, and a bunch of honey including 1 lbs of heather honey. I am making a 25 liter(5,8 gallons) batch, and my question is this: Will mixing apples and malt make the mead taste horrid? And which of these spices should I keep out of my mead if I am using apples/malt....

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
Rintrah,

Welcome to the Forums!

I'm a little unclear as to what you're intending here: do you want to mix all these fermentables -- the apples, malt, and honey? If so, that would, I suppose, be a braggot (or honey/malt mead). These are usually carbonated like beer, but not always. Adding the apple juice in will probably give it a light, fruity character. What kind of malt is it? If it's a lighter malt, this could be quite nice, done right. A heavier malt might be less successful, but that's just a guess, and a matter of personal taste anyway. I'm not sure about the caraway, but otherwise, these spices work well with apples. Using a lighter touch with the caraway might lend an interesting character.

Have you made mead before? If not, I wouldn't recommend going ahead with this recipe just yet. It's actually a complex list of ingredients you've got here, and it could take a bit of experience to put it together the way you want. Just my view, so take it for what it's worth.

Anyway, once you finalize the exact ingredients and method you want to use for this, please post it to the Recipes board here, and I'm sure you'll get lots of great feedback.

Again, welcome!

-David

Rintrah

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2006
Thank you very much for the help.

To your question; This will be my third batch so far so I have some experience. The reason I was curious was that I have never used malt and/or apples in a mead before and so I had no idea how the outcome would be like. i the final result.

Ill be careful with the caraway like you said, it has quite a powerful taste. Also I think the Malt is quite heavy so I think ill only use half the apples.

Good tip about the braggot being carbonated, I think i'll try half of it carbonated and the other half not. And Ill sure write down the recipe if it turns out any good.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns