• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A few meads of mine.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Raleigh

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2006
Here is a few meads I have been working on since the begainning of January/2006. From left to right.....Two separate litter bottles of spiced mead ageing, a rose rhodomel, and the 2.8 carboy of cyser, almost ready for first racking.....

http://server5.pictiger.com/img/109...erikbarton-desktop-untitled-folder-6-mead.jpg

The spiced meads a ok for my very first experiment with mead, however, it is a bit strong on the clove factor as I added about 27 cloves to one gallon during the must preparation.

The rhodomel in the middle is also getting good as the taste is starting to mellow with a little age. Its actually a really rich mead so I dont think you would want to drink this stuff all night, good for a glass or two though. I also have another half gallon of this stuff not pictured. I plan on putting all of this into glass containers the next time I rack it....The color of this batch is incredible, crystal clear and red.

Third is the cyser I have not tried yet, as it has not even been racked once yet. I plan on adding some spices and may give out a few bottles of this during Christmas next year, if its good at that time, that is...

Raleigh

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2006
yes I realize this...I know the photo kinda looks like a lot of sunlight on the mead....Its really not though as a point of sunlight creeps through the blinds for only about 1/2 hour first thing in the mourning.....I wouldnt want to ruin my hard work....It would spoil the rewards.

I might start a chocolate mead after that carboy frees up.....

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
Do they smell and taste as good as they look? ;D If so......
SEND ME SOME!! jk LOL.

Raleigh

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2006
As a little update to my meads....The rose mead is almost gone, down to about half a gallon....It was just too good, however I havent touched any in a while and I plan on saving the rest....Mabe I will drink it later after the summer is through.

Plenty of spiced mead, same as in the photo except I did take one tiny nip a while ago.

The plans for the cyser have changed considerably though.....I drank a bit at first, it was good, but kinda hard due to strong alcohol content, and a rough / non mature gasoline flavor.

I decided to add a bunch of fresh black berries to the cyser. I have a big tree full of ripe berries in my backyard that was just too temping not to utilize. I cruched em up, added a bit of water and simmered em for mabe 10 minutes then let em cool off and threw em into the cyser. I also added a small teaspoon of light grown sugar. I kinda hope this doesnt ferment and just sweetens the mead, as it is now, the fermentation stopped a long time ago...but even if the fermentation starts back up again, well, thats ok too. The whole cyser, or is it now a mel? Looks purple in color, like a fine grape wine.

I think Apple / Blackberry mead sounds purdy dern good dont you? Sort of an old country time mead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns