• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

percentage

Barrel Char Wood Products

Rintrah

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2006
14 days ago I put 14 pounds of honey and some OJ and some lemonjuice and some raisins in a mead batch of 6 gallons. I used a starter with oj and used nottingham yeast. It has reached 10% alcohol now, but I want it up to 12%.. It took that last week to get it from 9 to 10%. Is there anything I can do to speed things along? There is enough sugars in it still so its not that. Input anyone?

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Couple of things might work...

1. Add a few more ground raisins or the raisin fluid solution someone else described in another thread. Additional nutrients would possibly help the yeast.

2. Stir the batch, but only enough to get the lees back up into suspension, not enough to introduce any air into the liquid. The yeast might work a little better if not on the bottom of the vessel..

Good luck,
Pewter

Rintrah

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2006
Ok, ill try the stiring part first. I guess Ill have to taste the must before I add anymore sugars

Rintrah

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2006
The mead is at 8 or 9 %, my last reading was abit off. The gravity is +20 / 1.020 so I guess there is enough sugars to get it up to 12%. Is it normal for a Batch to use 3+ weeks to gain 12%? Those I have made using breadyeast got to 12% in less then 24 hours....

Sander

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 30, 2005
Rintrah said:
Those I have made using breadyeast got to 12% in less then 24 hours....

Wow!! That is really, really quick. Where they any good?

Rintrah

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2006
acctually the first one I made with breadyeast(the dry type) was in a cooking pan(or whatever the english word for what you usually boil water in is called) and it was less then half a gallon. After 24 hours I racked it and had it clear for 4-5 days in my room (not cold) It was clear on the top and it tasted very good. But I must say it smelled like hell while it was fermenting.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns