• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

hobbies

Barrel Char Wood Products

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
So, besides brewing booze, does anyone have any other hobbies? If so what are they? I like to play video games, music, movies, plinking. I also like writing fiction, yet I have nothing published. I also like studying history, more accurately put, military history. May the gods grant you great brews.

--SEmper

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2006
I enjoy a good movie, fantasy books & computer games (totally addicted to Baldur's Gate :) )

I love doing sports. Used to do ninpo for 4 years till I moved. I practice parcours but it is put on a low level (you try running outside at -24 :-X ). It's getting warmer, so starting again. Accompanying that I just work out in general.

And to fit with the fantasy: I play Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
There is another "hobbies" thread, but it's a bit older. Gotta find out what everyone is up to nowadays!

In the warmer months, I like to blacksmith. Don't like to do it in winter in Illinois, as I'm a coward for cold. I also like to yoyo, and I'm actually not too shabby. If you've got the time, and the patience, and the ability to withstand strange music, then check out my videos! www.extremespin.org/mouko/videos.htm I also adore hiking.

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
Scadsobees said:
BEEKEEPING!!!

Now that's a hobby that fits with Meadmaking!!

Hobbies:
- wine making, mead & cider making
- drinking it :0
- home renovation, carpentry projects
- hiking
- camping (RV)
- traveling

T

The Honey Farmer

I agree with scadsobees. BEEKEEPING!!!! 17 colonies and growing ;D

Dennis

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
More to the point, what DONT I do, heheh...

In no order of importance:

-Brewing beer
-Mead making
-Drinking said beer and mead
-Playing Everquest 2 (Permafrost server)
-Spinning
-Weaving
-Sewing
-Camping
-Fishing
-Baking
-Learning about essential oils/making own incense/soaps/bath products etc

Laiquatan

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2006
Me, I just collect hobbies. Besides mead, I have beekeeping, mushroom hunting and growing, stained glass, pottery (made a couple drums), geocaching, wildflower photography, gardening, herbology, play french horn a bit, share my wife's quilting... I've misplaced my poetry and henna somewhere. ;)

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Mead making
Beer brewing
Traditional archery
Photomicroscopy
Vintage video games (i'm currently building an arcade machine)
Weight lifting
Vegetarian cooking
Vegetarian Eating

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Here's the Original thread on hobbies...

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=103&topic=378.50

I love coming up with new recipes and Ideas, I made a wonderful chicken stir fry the other night using a bottle of Cherry Mead that had been sitting half full for a month. For a friends birthday yesterday - I made a chocolate fudge cake with a full can of coconut pecan frosting mixed in, as well as a small bottle of maraschino cherries. The maraschino syrup was set aside and mixed in with a bag of Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate chips and about an eighth of a cup of cream... melted and mixed in a small sauce pan on the stovetop. The cake was served warm with the warm chocolate poured over top. One of the best desserts I've ever had, or made.

Wrathwilde

Mim

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2006
um....JoeM...Photomicroscopy is your....hobby?? That's not the kind of equipment most people have just laying around at home.

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
Hi my hobbies include:
drinking "good" beer
the occasional cigar
archery
firearm shooting and reloading
hunting
knifemaking and most recently, attempting to make mead ;D

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
In no particular order:

- making mead
- running Gotmead.com
- civil war skirmishing (we use *real* ammo)
- 16th century English re-enactment as a brewmistress and herbmistress
- renaissance festivals
- horseback riding
- going on field trips and soccer games with my daughter
- reading
- making cordials
- researching & making herbal remedies
- home improvement (just re-did my daughters room, saving up to re-face the kitchen)

Vicky - loading bullets for musket shooting this weekend in Capron, VA

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Mim

I'm a medical student (graduating in two months ;D) and i'm going into pathology, so i spend a lot of time around microscopes. I also did a lot of my photo work in college when i had access to both microscope and darkroom equiptment whenever i wanted.

JoeM

Mim

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 16, 2006
Ah, but when you start referring toprocedures as hobbies it's time to stop huffing the volatile organics and leave the lab! ;)

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
- researching & making herbal remedies

Vicky, this is something I am *very* interested in pursuing...would you mind getting in touch with me, off-board or here, and letting me know a good place to start?

Cheers!

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Leading our rescue hound down the path of perdition!

gr2.jpg

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
Dan McFeeley said:
Leading our rescue hound down the path of perdition!

gr2.jpg
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! An uncle of mine got a bird we had when we lived in Texas drunk. The bird almost fell into his glass it got so drunk. The bird was so drunk he could not even fly, much less fly straight. My Dad had to pick his drunk tail up and put him in his cage. May the gods grant you great brews.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns