• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I'm in! I'm finally in! WOO-HOO!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
Welcome to GotMead. I am new here myself. I have been a regular on the forum since the beginning of this month and just became a subscriber a couple of days ago. I have not tried nor seen mead myself. I do not do home brewing yet either, but I am looking into trying it soon. I ordered two bottles of mead earlier this week, and am looking forward to its arrival. You will find the people here to be very friendly and helpful. You can also find beer and wine recipes on some of the boards on this site. Keep looking at the posts and asking the older mazers. I hear a lot of praise for Ken Schramm's book. The people here think that it is the best around. I am going to get it before I start my own home brewing.

May the gods grant you great brews,
Gerald

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Welcome Fwee and NeadMead!
As I'm sure you will find, Mead can be as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it. It is, after all, just fermented honey/water. You can make a very simple recipe in a few minutes or make one that is much more complicated that takes hours, depending on your personality and patience!

Definitely get Ken Schramm's book, the Compleat Meadmaker. It is what finally made me think I could do it! I had read two other books on winemaking (that had a small section on mead) and they scared the crap out of me!

Joe's Ancient is a good one to start with. It is simple and fun. A Simple Cyser is another good one to try, when you want to try something else.

Most of all, enjoy!!! Mead should be fun! ;D

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Welcome to the forums ;D
First you must decide if you like sweet or dry mead (kinda' like wine but better ;)) and then look for the recipes. The Ancient orange is a really good one to start with ;)

Cheers,
Brewbear

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Welcome Fwee,

I would love to get some more feedback on the NewBee guide from you (and anyone else reading it). If it is too complicated, let me know and I will adjust it accordingly. Just Email me at Angus@Gotmead.com.

Thanks,

Angus

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
I tried my first mead lastnight. I liked it. ;D Unfortunately, I liked it so much I drank the entire bottle. :( Now I have only one bottle left. :'( I think I should change my name to NeadMoreMead. ::)LOL

Gerald

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
Fwee said:
contemplated having this "problem" also. ;D

That's why when I start, I'm going to try and start a batch every week for about a month and a half or so. That way, if I like it, I'll have a steady supply for a while until I get myself a larger carboy. ;D
Unfortunately, I have not started to brew yet. I ordered it from a meadery here in NC. Now I am in worse shape. I am wiping out my second and last bottle. :'(

Gerald

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Fwee,

Actually, you are in the perfect position to critique it as it was written specifically for someone just like you. I will go back and read it all again. It may be that my little experience may have carried over into expecting others to understand something because I have already done it myself. Thanks for the feedback.

Angus

Thurisaz

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 15, 2006
Fwee said:
...An online aquaintence of mine (from Germany - who might show up here sometime soon) kept mentioning mead on another board...

He's here now ;D

pearlheartgtr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2006
Welcome!

Just like you I am a newbee who had no real experience with mead. I had it once a while back and that was about it. I am not a wine drinker. I am more or less a chick who likes beer and whiskey and relaxing with a good Absinthe. But wine isn't much my thing.

I started a couple months ago with a metheglyn, a cyser and a pyment. The pyment at bottling is close to Merlot (couple of weeks ago) and the others just need their time to settle.

I have a batch of Ancient Orange brewing along with a batch of Blueberry at the moment.

With my extreme inexperience I was scared at how things would turn out (initial smells and tastes) but after cruising through the forum here and asking questions, I found that these things are normal and well on their way to something good.

All I can say for those of us who are real imapatient is that you really have to wait it out. Leave your AO alone and just forget about it for a bit. Though I still check to make sure things are bubbling right. Look but don't touch.

Welcome and I hope you yeild good results.

Thurisaz

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 15, 2006
Fwee said:
Everybody, meet Thurisaz. He's from Germany, and he's the only person on the face of the Earth that has the Poetic Edda completely memorized!

Go ahead, quiz him.
He likes it when you do that. ;D :D

:eek:

Some day I'll get you for that! >:D

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OK, Fwee, better hide, 'cause here goes.... >:D

Thurisaz, how about giving us a bit of the Vafthrutnismol, The Ballad of Vafthruthnir?

Danke!

Vicky - ::grinning, ducking & running::

Thurisaz

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 15, 2006
Vicky - GM Webmistress said:
Thurisaz, how about giving us a bit of the Vafthrutnismol, The Ballad of Vafthruthnir?

Danke!

Want English or German version? ::)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Talking?

I was going to say wrong verb . . . but that would just be . . . wrong.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Thurisaz

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 15, 2006
Fwee said:
He's only a teddy bear when he has to be.

I guess now's a good time to clear that up... ;D

Before we really got together, after a certain rather bizarre happening, we invented some nicknames for each other. While I call her "verrücktes Huhn" (crazy chicken) she christened me "Blödbär" (silly bear)... >:D

Thurisaz

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 15, 2006
Fwee said:
Do you think now would be a good time to tell them that you don't even like girls?
001.gif

z7shysterical.gif

You know, I really don't like girls... I'm absolutely hot for them 8)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns