• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Help with names . . .

Barrel Char Wood Products

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
Hey gang :) Okay, I could use some help, and I knew that you guys and gals were the people to ask. There are about 7 weeks left in my pregnancy, and we don't have a name picked out for the boy yet. I told my DH that he could pick out a name for this one, since I basically named our firstborn (Moira), but I get veto power, and can offer suggestions. We both agree that with our DD having such an unusual name (for Texas), the boy should have something fairly unusual as well. We would like something celtic (although this is not a MUST), something that is NOT on a most popular list, something that if you hear it you (or my redneck MIL) are likely to be able to spell it and if you see it you can prolly pronounce it (which removes almost all welsh and quite a few gaelic names *grins*). So with all the SCAers and just plain weird, wonderful, wacky people here, I thought I would be able to get some great ideas to suggest to DH. Oh, and the child is not likely to be a flaming redhead, so REALLY Irish names (like Seamus) would not really be appropriate). Here are some of the things we have liked, but didn't fit for one reason or another:

Seth (this is our current favorite, like I said, it doesn't have to be Celtic)
Dillan
Joel
Joshua
Sterling
Merlin
Ethan

And the ones my DH suggested that I told him NO FREAKING WAY!:
Amon
Beorn
Emyn
Mahal
Osse

PLEASE help me save our son from being named after a Tolkien character!! Any suggestions will be taken seriously (unless you mean them as a joke :p), and if I like them, I will pass them on to DH. Thanks for any help you can offer! *hugggs to all*

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Let me be the first to suggest Hollingsworth Throckmorten as an excellent name for a child.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Scout,
I have some friends in california who named their son Corebious Mortiki. They call him Corey now. I like Seth, but then that was my grandfathers name. Have you tried reading through the Discworld series for names? Rincewind comes to mind. ;) Of course you could always name him Oskaar Wrathwilde :p

Wrathwilde

matt_maples

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2005
www.liquidsolutions.biz
Not that I'm Scottish or anything (or in the SCA for that matter) but my wife and I both agreed on our youngest being named Ronan (pronounced Roenan), which means promise.

Easy to spell and say. I have yet to meet another Ronan here in Oregon. My wife and I both have very pedestrian names (Matt and Sherri) so we wanted our sons to have more unique names but nothing made up. Ronan being an old Scottish name and our oldest, Gunnar is obviously a Scandinavian name. Gunnar seems to be picking up in popularity as we have met a few (both young and old) in the last 8 years since we named him but not one single Ronan.

Kudos for you in going the extra mile for your kids so that they can feel unique and individualistic if they so choose.

Matt

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Perhaps Hamish, Duncan, Dougal, or Fergus. All very Scottish names with celtic origins, but still known and easy to pronounce.

One bit of advice - don't name him after any form of livestock. Oh, and just because his name is posted in every single grocery store, is included on the menu of every single steak house, and is mentioned at least 1000 times a day on television commercials, does not mean people will be able to spell it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sincerely,

Agnes

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Scout,

Just a few words of wisdom from a friend...

While novel names might be cool from a parent's perspective, remember that the name will be the child's namesake for the rest of their lives. Pick something that is easy to spell, has a straight-forward pronounciation, and cannot be slightly warped into some slang or vulgar word that can be used to make fun of your child.

In terms of creating a positive self-fulfilling future, pick a name that has positives, not negatives, associated with it. Benedict Arnold, Richard Nixon, and Oskaar would be poor choices. ::) ::) ::)

I tend to like Jonathon, which shortens to Jon. My own children are Daniel Richard, Lisa Michelle, and Douglas Michael which are pretty standard fare...

Good luck,
Pewter

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the input, guys. Except Oskaar. You get beaten with the naughty stick. :) And Wrath, who gets ducktaped to the wall. . . AGAIN. *grins*

Fergus would be a good one, if my maiden name wasn't Ferguson. *grins* There's just something wrong about Fergus being the son of a Ferguson.

Pewter, we actually agree with you. We just don't want him to be lost in a sea of *whatever the popular name for the year is*. My DH's name is Brian. When we were in High School, we went to a dance together with some other friends of ours. It was Brian G. and his date, Brian D. and his date, and Brian W. and his date. Pretty messed up.

And as for the twisting the name into something to make fun of the child, my own parents didn't think quite hard enough on my name. Jean. Good, unusual, sturdy name. Now what is the first thing everyone said to me everyday? "Hi, Jean." Go ahead, say it. I dare you not to laugh. Ten year old boys find it hysterical, have for years. I like Scout much better, thanks. *grins*

So yeah, we are thinking about things like that. I like your kids' names, strong and classic, and they all go together. That's why we're looking for something Celtic and slightly unusual (for Texas *snirk*) to go with Moira.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
One other thought...

Is there a family member or relative that is really wonderful? Someone you would want your child to grow up to be like? Use their first name for the middle name of your child...

Hugs, if you can actually manage to hug a woman that is 8 months pregnant, ::) ::) ::)
Pewter

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Couple more suggestions (from my short list of baby names)

Rhys (Reese)
Reily (as in Life Of)

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
What Pewter said about novel names is very right. I gave my older girls Yiddish names (Raizel and Zissa) and they HATE them. Since most of the people we associate with are English-speakers, it got difficult sometimes. When my youngest came along, my husband wanted to honor his grandmother's memory; fortunately her name was Rachel.

Here we say that the one time common people are given prophecy is when they name their children. So I know that with all the love waiting for that little boy, you and your husband will chose exactly the right name for him.

Miriam

hedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2005
Ok,
Well, the name thing is always a tough one, but even with Oskaar and Wrathewilde chiming in, you will come up with something good. Here are two of my feable suggestions, which while not celtic might give you something to think of.

Egil (pronounced like eagle, or for texans "e-jill")
Ari

names not to use:
Thorolf
Thorkel
Snorri

(can anyone tell I am slogging through the Icelandic Sagas? )
hedgehog

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns