• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

joes anceint orange variation update and a bottling question

Barrel Char Wood Products

theshadowhammer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2006
just finished bottling a 1 gallon batch of joea anceint orange. the changes made to this batch were as follows

summer flower honey instead of clover
red star bread yeast instead of fleischmans

i used the red star yeast in the same measurements the recipe called for. i was hoping for a dryer end product.
the mead tastes great. but it is still sweet.

when using a bottler is it alright if my corks stick out a 1/4 inch over the top of the bottle?

thanks for the help

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Congratulations,

I hope the mead is what you were expecting.

Sounds like you're using a hand corker, is that right? I've seen this with hand corkers pretty often, but not with floor corkers. It's really best for the cork to be completly seated, but if you keep them upright they should be fine. I've seen bottles leak slowly over time when the corks aren't completely seated (for that matter I've seen corks that were fully seated leak too but not nearly as many)

If you're using a floor corker, you'll just need to adjust the driving pin down a bit to drive the cork in further.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
I've had the same problem with the hand corker I use, sometimes about 1/4 an inch or more of the cork sticks out of the bottle. I've been able to prevent this by squeezing the cork in the corker two or three times before corking the bottle. The corker I'm using is one of the red plastic types bought at the local HBS. I've also been able to "grab" the cork that is sticking out and push it in with the corker, took a lot of pratice to be able to do that though.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yeah those hand corkers are ok in a pinch, but I really prefer a floor corker because they're just so pickin' easy to use and reliable as hell. I have two now, but used to have a third one for my champagne bottles that finally grenaded it was so old. So now I get a production line going with my friends, I fill the bottles from my Enolmatic, and they cork them up.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns