• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

local homebrew stores?

Barrel Char Wood Products

EBCornell

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2008
Connecticut
Hi all...is there a good search tool out there for locating local homebrew stores? I've tried two -- one sucked (it was actually the the dusty, understocked basement of a hardware store) and one was great (but was over an hour away). I've tried google maps, but haven't come up with much. Thanks!

liff

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
Phoenix
I am not aware of a search tool, but I know of a good one in Glendale, AZ.

If I did not know of the location of one, but I would simply try the local yellow pages to find if there is one closer to you.

Liff

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Morning EBCornell,

It sounds from your post more like you are trying to find a site that provides 'reviews' of LHBS', rather than just their location. For locating purposes, there are some 130+ locations listed in GMs own site that you can try. Use the link on the left side of this page (Meaderies, Brewclubs & Supplies).

For reviews to find the best stores, I would suggest just asking. GMers who live in your area will probably have opinions on what is available and will be more than happy to pass the word on. You live in Connecticut, but exactly where? Ask the same question on a beer site, such as MoreBeer.com, and see what people say.

Angus

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hi all...is there a good search tool out there for locating local homebrew stores? I've tried two -- one sucked (it was actually the the dusty, understocked basement of a hardware store) and one was great (but was over an hour away). I've tried google maps, but haven't come up with much. Thanks!

http://www.beertown.org

Look in the right hand vertical columns and there will be a drop down search box that has LHBS in each state.

Cheers,

Pete

Bryon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 12, 2004
Phoenix, Az
If that dosn't five you the information you want, check any local stores websites for links to local homebrew clubs. You can check the club websites (if any) and see what stores they like or support.

This may also lead you to a group of like minded people in your area to get togather with and brew a frew.

good luck

EBCornell

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks for all the tips. I live in Greenwich, CT which is just about as far from the rest of Connecticut as you can get and might as well be considered New York. The Beertown search tool is great -- too bad there's nothing within an ideal half hour of me. I've had good luck making bigger orders online, but I'm looking for a local place where I can run to just pick up a couple stoppers and airlocks, know what I mean? I'll keep on keepin' on...
-eric-

Vino

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 30, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
EB,

According to my data there is a location about 20 minutes (14.1 miles) from Greenwich CT...and it has your name in it...try The Brewshop @ Cornells (True Value Hardware) 310 White Plains Road, Eastchester, NY (800) 961-2739

Vino

986 miles from my house...I'll stick to my LHBS

EBCornell

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2008
Connecticut
Ha! Yeah, I was really psyched to find a LHBS that close that was named after me...until I got there. Needless to say, after I made my way to the basement what merchandise I could find under the dust wasn't much use. The one thing I did end up buying (a drilled stopper) ended up being the wrong size in the end!
Might I ask where you get your data? Thanks so much for taking the time to do a search for me!!!

Vino

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 30, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
Internet junkie

Might I ask where you get your data?

I had a feeling when I saw "True Value Hardware" in the store name that their inventory might be limited, so I checked their website which wasn't much help.

As for my "data" I am somewhat of a internet junkie...I spend 30+ hours online researching both for my job as well as things that interest me...my "Favorites" on IE is considerably large...Since we travel a lot, I naturally look for HBS, Wineries, Meaderies, Specialty Food shops and, Events & Festivals in the area we plan to visit...in your case we are planning a 2 week trip in October to the New England area and I just happened to have a few HBS I wanted to visit.

Vino

EBCornell

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2008
Connecticut
Ah...it's nice to see someone who very thoroughly does their homework... ;)
Well, I hope you can cross that particular HBS off your to-do list...

spleefy42

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2008
Google always works best for me. Googles maps to be specific. Just plug in your address and use the Search Nearby function

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns