• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Small floating bits of fluff in melomel...

Barrel Char Wood Products

shaun_mead

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 10, 2018
Surrey, UK
In a couple of my melomels there are small ~1mm bits of white fluff floating in them. They always seems to be 1-4 inches from the surface, and neutrally buoyant.

They do not seem to have grown substantially, in a month of bulk aging, but there might be more of them perhaps, nor is there any film on the surface, or any other signs of infection. Both are clearing nicely after adding pectolase.

One had strawberry, the other cherry. Both have been racked with a campden added, and I couldn't stop them from being transferred to the secondary.

I think they are either mold or flocculated fiber material from the fruit.

I made 2 x 5l batches of the cherry one, one with less honey than the other, the one with the higher sg has them, and a different, slightly unpleasant smell (h2s), while the other doesn't seem to have any, hence I think it is mold.

I guess I should get some filter cloth and put them through it, see if it helps, but would like to know what it is before I drink any!

Has anyone else experience of these?

Kind regards,

Shaun.

Last edited:

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Lots of stuff floats and is not harmful. Infections form a pellicle on the surface.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns