• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Raise funds for suicide prevention - a challenge from Vicky $50 donated

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hi gang,

My daughter, Sami, is raising money to support suicide prevention. She lost a classmate to suicide, so this is important to her personally.

As a person who also attempted suicide at one point myself, long ago, this is a cause near and dear to my heart as well.

She needs to raise $1000 before November 14. So far, her pleas to friends and family have only raised $25. I donated $50 today, and I challenge you to help prevent suicide by helping her team raise their goal.

Any amount will do, and every dollar you donate goes to help keep this from happening to other kids (and adults).

So if you can spare a few bucks, please donate!

Click here to donate and thanks!!

Shanecb

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2008
I'm in a little bit of a money situation at the moment, so I unfortunately don't have anything to spare, but good luck with raising the money!

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Thanks Angus! I've been thinking a lot about my husbands' best friend Chuck, who did the car in the garage method, and Patty, my neighbor in high school and good friend, who committed suicide via starvation with anorexia. Took her 3 years to die.....

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
It is kind of a sad story, not just because of Nick, but also because of what I did not do: a parable in a way. I knew he was in trouble and needed help. He went off to college when he was 18, but never made it. Instead, he ended up in London on the streets. A month later, he went home, but by then I was in college, so I could not go and see him. I wrote him a letter telling him to come down to Portsmouth and hang out with me until he got his head together, but sat on the letter for a week. No reason, other than just being into my own life. A intended to send it on the Friday, which would have it in his hand on the Saturday morning (First Class mail in England back then took a day). But I did not. On Monday morning, I got a call from my mom telling me he had sat in the garage with a hose from the exhaust....... on Sunday. If I had sent the damned letter on the friday, who knows.

So, two lessons. To those sitting around thinking about doing something to help a friend.....DO IT! Don't wait.

To those who feel they have nobody to turn to. BS! You do. Go to your friends. They may not tell you, but they love you. So reach out to them for help.

Vicky, thank your daughter for me.

Angus

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
I'm at work right now, in the ER waiting for a social worker to come in for one of our patients so I have a little time on my hands. I'll certainly be logging back on again once I'm home and making a donation.

I work with this on a daily basis, it's what I do for a living. The system needs all the help it can got -- it's overstrained and often inadequate. We've had a lot of funding cutbacks for mental health services in our area recently, clients are often waiting weeks at a time to get in to see the doctor, services with therapists and counselors are limited. There have been many times where we've had to hospitalize a patient for the simple reason that s/he couldn't get in to see the doctor and subsequently got worse.

Give all you can.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Glad to hear your daughter is out there trying to make a difference. I've talked three different friends out of suicide (one of them twice), I had to pull a knife out of the arm of the third. I also had to hold him in a powerful bear hug for the next several hours restraining him, calming him down, and talking him out of it. Every life saved matters.

Donation made.

Cheers,
Jered Talbot (Wrathwilde)

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Vicky, I didn't realize you were on the "support me" list... when I saw your name there I just thought it was a list of contributors. My donation went under your daughters name.

Cheers,
Jered

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Glad to hear your daughter is out there trying to make a difference. I've talked three different friends out of suicide (one of them twice), I had to pull a knife out of the arm of the third. I also had to hold him in a powerful bear hug for the next several hours restraining him, calming him down, and talking him out of it. Every life saved matters.

Donation made.

Cheers,
Jered Talbot (Wrathwilde)

...interesting...Those who study Near Death Experiences report that people who have survived an NDE as a result of suicide attempt report that they will NEVER attempt again...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns