• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

An Anniversary (of sorts)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Whteknght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2004
My first mead is just over a year old now, and my second batch (a melomel) is approaching one year very quickly. Guess it's time for a sampling!

Hu-zah!

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
My hat is off to you.

Some of my first batch will make it a full year.

Batch 2 - 1 bottle left
Batch 3 - 1 bottle left

And I just started in July!

It's not the will power, it's the WON"T power I have trouble with. ;D

Whteknght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2004
There was a little sampling at racking and bottling time, but not since it was left to age.

As for what they are, Batch one is a plain dry mead (done with chemicals at the time, but I have moved passed that), the second is a Blackberry/Raspberry melomel. My spiced Cyser is considerably younger (just coming up on nine months).

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
WhteKnght said:
There was a little sampling at racking and bottling time, but not since it was left to age.

Good Goddess! The man has nerves of steel!!!! :eek:

-David

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Hat's off to you, WhteKnght! I think I have to have a bottle at bottling time. For my experimental batches, they are no less than 3 gallons simply because I like to have a bottle or two within the short drinkable time prior to aging. I also have a bottle set aside from each batch to be opened at 1, 5 and 10 years so that I can see how each recipe has aged.

Talon.

Whteknght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2004
Actually, I left off that there was a bacth of Blackberry/Raspberry melomel (not the before mentioned) that is down to only 3 reserve bottles because the other 12 were consumed. :)

Wonder what could have happened to the rest of them... *looks innocent*

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
WhiteKnight said:
Actually, I left off that there was a bacth of Blackberry/Raspberry melomel (not the before mentioned) that is down to only 3 reserve bottles because the other 12 were consumed. :)

Wonder what could have happened to the rest of them... *looks innocent*

Heh, me too. *looks Oskaar's way*

-jb

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
I'm down to two bottles of my first batch, born in August, three bottles of my second batch born in October. Gave a lot of it away during Christmas, drunk the rest while checking on how it was aging. ;D. Found that the easiest way to not drink what is aging is to keep a batch brewing and sample it while performing specific gravity checks. Maybe that's why I'm only getting 16 bottles out of a 5 gallon batch, love that "spillage". ;D

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
I make a number of recipes that I call quick meads that are about 10-14% alcohol that are drinkable from 3 weeks on. Thay keep me supplied daily while I have over 30 different recipe varieties bottled and aging. I keep one of each stored away in a special cabinet in the basement that I will not touch for a few more years. The others I open every now and then and drink to see how they are coming along or give for gifts.

No shortage here. 5 gallons of my 3 week no age sweet CW Mead is more than enough to keep my glass full dailey and last for 3 months while I experiment, build up a stash and wait on other batches to age. If I had to wait 2 years on every batch, I would have nothing to drink.

If the water suppliy drys up I figure I can make it on my mead for a few years.
"whats in your wallet? ".... I mean basement ;D

Joe

ancjr

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2005
lostnbronx said:
ancjr said:
My first batch is 3 weeks old today :D

Congrats!!! Is this the Ancient Orange?

-David

It's from http://www.cavemanchemistry.com/cavebook/chmead3.html
I've even forgotten how I found that page. Perhaps it was fate?

But, I have to give it credit because it got me interested enough to research the topic further, leading me to this forum. My Ancient Orange is 2 weeks old today :)

Thanks again guys!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns