• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Are your bees ready

Barrel Char Wood Products
A

andrewschwab

Are your bees ready for another year?
Will this be the biggest honey crop ever? I sure hope so...

11storyhive-1.jpg

hotnuc001.jpg

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Been keeping an eye on them and started to feed one that is a little short on honey. Only have four hives but they are all bringing in Maple pollen and look active. Things start early here in Florida. Almost lost a hive last August, it threw a late swarm and didn't requeen, by the time I realized it all the mail order queens were gone. Had to go the hard way by swapping young brood and having the hive make it's own. If I had been up north the hive would of been a write off. Only been averaging 10-12 gallons per hive which isn't a lot for the area but 40-50 gallons is a lot of work with an old Kelly 2 frame hand cranked extractor.

A

andrewschwab

There is something to be said for smaller honey crops, but healthier bees.
I have gone to that route. Used to be 90-100 pound averages. It was hard on me and the bees. I feel a lot better with the health of the hives and only getting 60 lbs avereages. :p
Besides it is tons easier to sell bees in the spring then selling honey all year long. Besides I hate having sticky hands, (go figure) :eek:

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Yeah, I've gotten a bit lazy, even left a lot of honey on the hives for winter this year instead of a late fall extraction. Most bee keepers in the area only winter with one medium honey super on top of one deep brood box. Florida has such a short winter a setup like that works great. I prefer two deeps along with one or two full shallows. Any honey left over come spring gets extracted with the first crop.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns